Roma: Movie Review

Tanner Wymore, Staff Writer

Famous director Alfonso Cuarón released over 15 movies over the course of his career with few reaching similar praise to his most recent film. Alfonso Cuarón is well known for his films Gravity and Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. Roma is Afonso’s most recent film and can be viewed on Netflix and was released in theaters on November 21, 2018. Roma has a 96% certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes from over 300 reviews from critics and an overall 8.0 stars on IMDb from 60,000 votes. A few things to note are that Roma is in black and white, in Spanish with subtitles, and is rated MA.

Roma is a drama semi-autobiography of Alfonso’s childhood, set in 1970-71 in a small neighborhood in Mexico City named Roma set in the perspective of Alfonso’s childhood maid, Cleo. Roma covers about a year of their life and indulges you in their world and life, with characters that have honest, deep personalities.

Yalitza Aparicio (Cleo) is outstanding, as this is her actress debut, and is a nominee for best actress at the 91st Academy Awards Ceremony. This is extremely impressive for her first film and is showing great promise for an acting career.

Although Roma is 2 hours and 15 mins, the journey feels much longer, and the movie is packed with detail, that leaves it desirable to not look away. Although, seeing isn’t the only venture the movie takes, the sound design in this film is just as detailed as the screen shows, so I do suggest headphones for this drama.  

I believe Roma is a great experience that can expose you to foreign films, as other countries may not be as willing to see the film, this shows you a different world in entertainment and film you may have not seen. I don’t believe Roma is an experience for everyone, but the film accomplishes what it needs to and more, giving an entertaining, adventurous experience.

I hope that this review can expose Roma to more people, as the experience is worth it, and personally, I think the movie is the best movie of 2018, but that is because of the artistic details not noticeable on a first watch, as this movie deserves multiple viewings.

There are some cons to Roma, as it isn’t a perfect film endeavor. Sometimes the plot can be a bit confusing, if your attention to the movie isn’t constant, and as stated before, the detail is a little overwhelming for the first viewing.

Roma is a film worth your time if you want something new and different to the film community. This film is a high achiever for many viewers, and the film is likely to not disappoint and deliver on one of the best films this year.

Tanner Wymore, Staff Writer

Tanner Wymore is a 7th grade journalist and was born in Kaiser Permanente Harbor City CA, or as Tanner put it, “Kaiser Permanente Harbor City CA, Earth...

1 Comment

One Response to “Roma: Movie Review”

1. Stella Dommer on February 26th, 2019 6:51 pm

I heard this movie is really great and I can’t wait to watch it now! The way you described the main character and the storyline gave enough room for the reader’s opinion. But I like how you also added in your own opinion to give your point of view on the movie.

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Soar into the Movies with Dumbo

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Ten Books To Read Before High School

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Blackpink’s New Comeback for “Kill This Love” Has Kpop Fans Pleased

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Google’s New Gaming Console

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Virtual Reality Sets: Are They Worth It?

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

The New Twilight Zone: Does It Live Up?

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Can YouTuber-Musicians Be Taken Seriously?

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Five Feet Apart: A Love Movie About Cystic Fibrosis

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Video Game Review: Anthem

• Roma: Movie Review

A&E

Juice WRLD’s “Death Race For Love”

Roma: Movie Review