Government Shutdown Puts Others At Risk

Government Shutdown Puts Others At Risk

The government has been shutdown, affecting others negatively. Courtesy of Business Insider

Business Insider

Business Insider

Business Insider

Arianna Cau, News Editor

On December 21st, 2018, President Donald Trump, the House of Representatives, and the Senate all disagreed on how to fund for the border wall, so the following day, there was a shutdown.

This government shutdown has been the longest one in U.S. history, beating the 21 day record from Clinton’s administration. The reason why the government was shutdown was because of the border wall that Trump wants built. He proposed $5.7 billion for funding for the wall and the Democrats turned it down, thus a government shutdown started. After 35 days, the President temporarily stopped the shutdown, giving the people in Congress three weeks to come up with a compromise for this bill. If they don’t come up with a compromise, the shutdown will resume.

This affects DACA recipients or DREAMers (Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals) because of the border wall that will go up between the two countries, preventing others who want to come to America for asylum. Lindsey Graham has proposed a bill that helps both sides of the situation.  It gives the White House money for border security while also letting DREAMers have their three year-long work permits. According to CBSNews, “Graham said he proposed the idea to Mr. Trump, who he said called it ‘interesting.’”

One of the main groups this shutdown is hurting is federal employees. This includes chemists, mechanical engineers, lawyers, registered nurses, correctional officers, National Security employees, and many others. They have had to work without pay because of the government shutdown. The first paycheck they have seen since the shutdown was on February 8th, 2019; that’s over 40 days without pay. And the money they did get wasn’t enough for all of the time they worked.  This has affected many people negatively, even causing some to be unable to support themselves or make ends meet.

Shutdowns have been happening since the 1970’s. The first government shutdown was in 1977 in Jimmy Carter’s administration and one of his three shutdowns. Then during Ronald Reagan’s terms he had seven government shutdowns, which is currently the most shutdowns a president has had. Over the years, presidents have had one or two shutdowns, and Bill Clinton had a 21 day shutdown, which was previously the longest government shutdown. Including the newest shutdown, Trump has had three shutdowns so far. The first of which was in January 2018, and was about the DACA act, and it lasted three days. The second being one that was solved in a span of a few hours, and the third being the aforementioned one.

Others also have an opinion on this. For instance, student, Brian Doe (pseudonym used) says “I’m personally in a bit of an gray area about the whole situation, I’m both in favor and against it. I feel that it was wrong to all of a sudden cut the pay of hardworking government officials, but on the other hand I’m in favor of the president’s decision.”

To add, 7th grader, Sunny Holmes says, “It’s nice that everyone has their jobs back. I really didn’t care when it went around because it wasn’t affecting me personally, but it’s good to hear things back and running again. It’s weird, the strikes back and then everything else is happening, it’s nice. It’s good that the Trumpy baby put everything back on on track and I hope everything runs smoothly.”

Overall, the shutdown affected a lot of people. However, we will still have to wait and see how this plays out. Check back here for updates! 

Arianna Cau, News Editor

Arianna Cau is an eighth grader attending Dana Middle School. Before she attended Dana, she attended White Point Elementary School. As a part of The Dana...