College Spotlight: University Of California, Davis

Emery Jovel, Features Editor

UC Davis is located in Davis, California, and was first established in 1905, but first opened its doors in 1908. UC Davis was originally known for being a University Farm for UC Berkeley. Now in present day, UC Davis is known worldwide for its expertise in agriculture and veterinary medicine. It is one of the top ten schools in the UC school system.

In 1930, the campus was 1,000 acres and soon turned into 3,000 acres by 1951. Now in present day, the campus reached 5,000 acres by 2007. This school attracts high achieving students. Some of the requirements to be accepted into UC Davis is to have your SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) range from 1200-1420. Your ACT (American College Testing) range requirements to be accepted into this school need to be from 25-32. You also need to have an average GPA of 3.99. If you have these requirements and are interested in attending UC Davis, then the state tuition fees are $14,463. Out of state tuition fees are $43,458.

The school’s mission is to commit and provide a high quality education that will create a supportive and creative environment for students who attend the university. The school also strives for students to progress their problem-solving skills to improve their everyday lives.

UC Davis is known worldwide for its expertise in agriculture and veterinary medicine. It has been ranked #38 in National Universities and #24 in Best Undergraduate Teaching. Some schools on the campus that are available to applicants who plan on attending UC Davis are Graduate School of Management, School of Law, School of Medicine, College of Engineering, School of Veterinary Medicine, and School of Education.

When my sister, Patricia Jovel, was a young adult searching for a college to attend, she decided to apply for UC Davis. UC Davis caught her eye because she was particularly interested in UC Davis’ School of Veterinary Medicine, since she really wanted to become a veterinarian  During her time at UC Davis, Patricia’s major was animal science and midway through college, she changed it to wildlife biology. Patricia describes the school, “It’s very green. It’s a nice little town and it’s a nice little college. You can walk basically everywhere.”

“Challenging but rewarding. Challenging part is just you have to use a lot of well common sense, but also learn how to problem solve. And you have to know like a lot of information. And then they’re rewarding because we get to help animals,” is how Patricia describes her professors. According to her, you can learn a lot that will help you for your future job and even for future references to anything. But did she regret going there? No, she didn’t. Why? “I don’t regret going there. I felt it was a good experience. I felt like the reason I wanted to go to UC Davis was of their vet school.”

So you see, if you want to go to a college that’s out of the city, is green, and offers an excellent education, then UC Davis may be just the school you’re looking for.

Emery Jovel, Features Editor

Emery Jovel is a 7th grade Journalism student attending Dana Middle School. Before she came  to Dana Middle school she attended Point Fermin Elementary....