Zombie Deer Disease

Zombie Deer Disease

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

During the 1960s, there was a disease in Colorado that was soon to be named the Zombie Deer Disease or CWD (chronic wasting disease) and it was spread throughout deer, elk, and moose by prions that are similar to the mad cow disease.

Since they don’t show side effects until they’ve had it for years, people in 24 different states have been consuming them on a daily basis. Experts in the medical division state that they should cut down on the meat because they don’t know for certain if it is harmful. They’ve tested the people who have eaten the infected animals and reported that no harmful symptoms have shown but suggest that you should stay away from any sick looking animals that look confused when you go hunting.

An 8th grader named Ruby Sanchez stated,” Even though they tested for any harmful symptoms after humans ate the infected deer and it came out negative, it still doesn’t mean it didn’t take full effect yet”

The animals that are infected have symptoms of drool, dementia, stumbling, and extreme weight loss. Because of their dementia, the animals are more confused than threatening which makes them extremely hard to approach and be tested to make sure if they do have CWD.

The disease acts like the mad cow disease because of the prions. The prions are zombie-like pathogenic proteins that are not alive and can’t be killed. When they infect an animal, they eat at its brain causing the symptoms as explained earlier and make it easier to spread from one animal to the next. “It’s a disease that you can’t get rid of,” Dale Garner, wildlife chief for the Iowa Division of Natural Resources said, ”There’s no cure so far. So as long as you have deer on the landscape, and it continues to spread from animal to animal, you’ll probably have more.”

It transfers to other animals when they are in a close range or by indirect contact with bodily fluids such as saliva, feces, blood, or urine. This means that the disease can spread if one of the infected animals were wounded and its blood touches an uninfected animal. It can also transfer indirectly if a healthy animal comes in contact with anything that was touched by a sick animal.

If you see any animal that has the disease, you should steer clear from it and be cautious of any meat that may have been from one with CWD.

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

Kaitlyn Bolling is a Journalism student here at Dana Middle school Honor Roll Program. Kaitlyn is currently in 8th grade. She attended Barton Hill for...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Zombie Deer Disease”

1. Robert Jaminson on March 8th, 2019 11:36 am

thx for the tip

2. Anahi Hernandez on March 8th, 2019 2:12 pm

I had actually read about this not to long ago. I think it’s honestly a pretty cool topic. Although it is cool to learn about this it is also pretty scary topic because of how easily it spreads. Other then the article i really like how the article was written and how many details it has. I like the fact that this article is pretty details and has all the cool facts.

• Zombie Deer Disease

The Suicide Bombings in Sri Lanka

• Zombie Deer Disease

Community News

The AltaSea Experience

• Zombie Deer Disease

Explosion at Port of Los Angeles

• Zombie Deer Disease

13 Year Joins Gaming Group FaZe Clan

• Zombie Deer Disease

Los Angeles Rapper Nipsey Hussle Dead

• Zombie Deer Disease

Apple vs Spotify: A New Rivalry In Music Streaming

• Zombie Deer Disease

Community News

San Pedro Shootings Rattle Community

• Zombie Deer Disease

Automation VS Man: A Fight For The Community

• Zombie Deer Disease

Student Led Protests Highlight Climate Change

• Zombie Deer Disease

California’s Death Penalty

Zombie Deer Disease