Manny Machado Signs Contract With Padres, But Was It worth It?

Anthony Sereno, Staff Writer

Manny Machado signed a record breaking contract for the San Diego Padres for 10 years, worth 300 million dollars on February 19, 2019, but was it really worth it for the Padres?

Furthermore, how will this affect Bryce Harper’s free agency and the rest of the MLB?

Manny Machado is a 26 year old MLB player who didn’t get the chance to go to college since he was drafted third overall by the Baltimore Orioles straight out of High School. He played for the Orioles for 7 years, then got traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers for 1 year. After that, he became a free agent. He recently just signed with the San Diego Padres for 10 years and is getting paid 300 million dollars. Manny Machado has won 2 Gold Glove Awards as a 3rd baseman.

Of course he is one of the best in the game, but his attitude is a problem. Manny Machado has a reputation of having a bad temper. One game, he charged the mound after he got hit with a pitch because he thought the pitcher hit him on purpose. Another game, he played against the Oakland A’s then threw his helmet down because Josh Donaldson tagged him “too hard”, It is things like this that makes you think if it was worth all that money. The Padres could have got 2 or 3 players with the money, but they went and decided to spend it on a guy who is overrated to some people.

Manny Machado(left) argues with Josh Donaldson(right) over hard tag by Donaldson

Now that Manny Machado is locked up with the Padres, this may affect where Bryce Harper goes since they are two of some of the best players in baseball. Bryce Harper was recently with the Washington Nationals, then wanted too much money so the Nationals released him. What this means is that he is a free agent, just like Manny Machado was before he signed with the Padres. But now that Manny signed, this might interfere with Bryce Harper’s selection as well. Everybody thought that they might end up to be on the same team, that can definitely still happen, but the Padres might not have enough money to get Bryce Harper as well because of how much money the gave Manny Machado.

So make sure to check recent MLB updates so you don’t miss other contract signings.