Trump Declares National Emergency

Trump Declares National Emergency

Isaac Sharp, Senior Staff

On February 15th, President Trump announced his declaration for a national emergency for border funding of the Southern Mexican border wall in the White House Rose Garden.

After Trump’s declaration, sixteen states responded by filing a lawsuit to challenge President Donald Trump’s national-emergency declaration, which he made to access extra funding for his proposed border wall. The California Governor, Gavin Newsom had strong comments on Trump’s declaration. He stated, “President Trump is manufacturing a crisis and declaring a made-up ‘national emergency’ in order to seize power and subvert the constitution. This ‘emergency’ is a national disgrace, and the blame lays solely at the feet of the President. Meanwhile, he plans to shutdown and divert funds used by California law enforcement that run counter-narcotics operations and fight drug cartels to build his wall. Our message back to the White House is simple and clear: California will see you in court. ”

Juliana Terzoli, an 8th grader at Dana, commented, “I feel that the declaration doesn’t make sense and is not going to do anything. I don’t think it’s fair for the president to do this but I think it’s a right that he has.” Some believe it may not be fair for the president to do this to speed up the process of the building of the wall, but on the other hand he may have the right to declare it a national emergency based on his beliefs.

The lawsuit, brought by states with Democratic governors (except one from Maryland), seeks to challenge the president and would prevent the president from acting on his emergency declaration while the case plays out in the courts.

Trump himself said that he “didn’t need to” declare a national emergency but did so to build the wall “much faster.” This comment is technically self incrimination because the governors suing the organization can use this comment, along with others, against the president, for being unconstitutional.

The President’s emergency declaration aims to divert about $6 billion from other federal budgets. Congress had approved $1.357 billion for a border wall, which is far less than Trump asked for. Through this declared “emergency,” White House officials plan to use $8 billion to build sections of a barrier that Trump says will obstruct or deter migrants from crossing into the country. That is about $6.6 billion more than Congress allotted for the purpose in its latest spending plan. To fill in the gap, the White House intends to divert $3.6 billion from military construction accounts and $2.5 billion from Defense Department efforts to fight illicit drugs.

The president is now taking bigger steps to fund the wall, the only question now is, will this step work?