History of Blackface

History of Blackface

Isabella Terzoli, Senior Staff

It is important for every American to understand why blackface, the offensive and racist “show” made back in the 1830’s, is offensive and what it truly is. Blackface has resurfaced once again and needs to be put to an end.

The “shows” were first performed in the 1830’s and were called “The Minstrel Show”. It was performed by white performers with blackened faces. The blackened face were made with either shoe polish or burnt cork. They wore old and torn clothing to imitate and mimic enslaved African Americans. They would impersonate black people’s looks, dances, language, and character.

The performances and performers characterized black people as lazy, ignorant, hypersexual, cowardly, and prone to thievery. The “Father of Minstrelsy” (Thomas Dartmouth Rice) developed the first popular blackface character named “Jim Crow”. Thomas D. Rice impersonated a black man he had seen singing and dancing in the street.

Image result for Thomas Dartmouth Rice

Thomas Dartmouth Rice as Jim Crow

In the year of 1845, the popularity of the minstrel had become so much there were songs, sheet music, make up, costumes, and lots of new stereotypes.  

Blackface performances became popular by the end of the civil war. Some popular actors, including: Shirley Temple, Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney, would participate in blackface. They made blackface (the racial parody, and stereotypes) a family amusement.

8th grader Jasmine Narez commented, “It’s scary, why is that a thing? Don’t do it.”

Blackface had resurfaced in modern day America. Some examples of blackface that still exist are: Gucci, Kim Kardashian, and Ariana Grande.

Gucci had to apologize after creating a turtleneck sweater that pulls up over the face with a cutout of exaggerated lips around the mouth. The sweater looks like nothing other then blackface. Gucci and other clothing brands that have done this, are claiming their designs were unintentional.

Image result for gucci blackface

Ariana Grande has been accused of using blackface (and a “blaccent”), because of the very big difference in skin tones from 2010 to 2019. Some people felt that the claims were a bit of a reach.

Image result for ariana g blackface

In June of 2017, Kim Kardashian West released a contour and highlights kit (make up) and got accused of using black face. She defended herself saying “The photos ended up being a little bit darker than I was. There were some people online saying I was doing blackface and the photos were inappropriate.” [Kim] “…fully understood what people were saying…” and adjusted the photos and replaced them on her social media posts.

Image result for Kim Kardashian blackface

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam wore blackface at a party as an undergraduate college student (1984).

Image result for Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam wore blackface

It is shown in a medical school yearbook. Though you can not see who he is, Northam has confessed to doing so. This racist and offensive photo is forcing us to confront the fact that racism is still alive and well in America. This is still a problem, an issue, and it hasn’t gone away. Blackface should be put to a stop and not be brought back.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “History of Blackface”

1. mia on March 6th, 2019 10:10 am

I really like this article but does anyone else think that these claims are a bit crazy? It’s not someone’s fault for the color of there skin tone and who doesn’t like being tan. Its a different story if they were purposely doing it to bring back blackface.

2. peter :-) on March 6th, 2019 5:34 pm

i kinda agree with mia it is not right when people paint there faces black just for shows.I like this article too good job isabella

3. victoria on March 8th, 2019 10:45 pm

I also think that is a bit crazy too I don’t stand up for black face or anything but if someone went on a vacation for a few days and got a tan would you say they are using blackface they just got a little tan and if they are doing it on purpose than somebody needs to step up and say that’s not right or something.

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Are students required to buy their own materials?

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Is The Recent Kardashian Tea Really Worth National Headlines?

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Are The Grammys Out of Touch?

• History of Blackface

Opinion

The Pros and Cons of Seating Charts

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Social Media & The Effect It Has On Its Users

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Vaccinations: A Review Of The Controversy

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Is Gaming Really Good For You?

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Childhood Favorite, Chuck E. Cheese, Recycles Pizza?

• History of Blackface

Opinion

Has Music Gotten Worse?

• History of Blackface

Opinion

The Impact of Fast Fashion

History of Blackface