What Momo Could Mean For Internet Safety

Megan Watson, Staff Writer

The internet and social media is a great way to talk to your friends and learn new things, but it is also important to be mindful and to stay safe.

Recently there has been this picture of a scary statue called Momo. People have been editing her face into videos to make it look like she is telling kids to commit suicide and to harm others. This video has gone viral and has been popping up on Youtube while parents are not monitoring what kids watch.

“I think it is good to be safe on the internet because there are a lot of not so safe people out there and you have to be careful.” says Jessica Mancha, a seventh grader at Dana.

Andy Phippen, a professor of social responsibility in Information Technology responds to the Momo situation and writes,  “Things like Momo become social media storms because folk are so keen to share. It’s a nasty looking image which looks scary, so, the gut feeling would be this would scare kids. But check the sources and the evidence trail soon runs dry. It’s viral content at the end of the day, propagating just adds fuel to the fire, and creates unfounded hysteria. Don’t believe everything you read online.” This quote is a good reason to stay safe on the internet because it shows that there can be scary and not safe things.

Internet Safety Tips

1. It is good to be safe and careful on the internet because you don’t want anyone to get into your private stuff. Making a strong password for your social media account so nobody tries to hack you is a good idea.
  2. If you don’t want everyone to see what you post online, it’s easy to make your account private. Be sure to never share your passwords with anyone besides people you trust because you wouldn’t want them to get out.
  3. It’s good to be careful about what you press, like ads or links. If you’re not, you could get a phone virus. Be careful of what you click on. 
  4. If someone adds you on social media and you don’t know who they are, it’s not a good idea to add them back.
  5. Make sure to think before you share things online because you never know who will see. It is important not to reveal any personal information.

At Dana, English teachers spent time first semester teaching students about digital citizenship., In class, students did a PSA project that explained tips on how to stay safe on the internet.

This is an infographic about internet safety done by a seventh grade student at Dana.

“I think it’s important to stay safe on the internet because there can be a lot of viruses that people might not know about so if they were to click on something without knowing what it was, they could get a virus.” says Noelia Suarez, a seventh grader at Dana.

Overall, staying safe on the internet is a difficult task for parents and students, but it is important for kids to stay mindful of the dangers on social media. There are not so safe people out there and it is good to protect yourself from harmful things.