Vaccinations: A Review Of The Controversy

Aytana Martinez, Editor-in-Chief

A new wave of anti-vax movements has been taking over the U.S. by storm, causing the recent measles outbreak. Anti-vax supporters believe that vaccinations may be the cause of the increase of cases concerning autism, ADD, Aspergers, and other neurological disorders.

Some people believe that natural immunity is better than vaccine-acquired immunity. They don’t think that vaccines are needed to give their child protection against certain diseases that vaccines are supposed to protect them from. Other people decide not to vaccinate their child because of the widespread fear that vaccines increase the risk of autism. They believe this because there is no clear cause for autism and the symptoms usually appear after they have had the choice of whether or not to give their child the MMR vaccine, which they believe is the cause of this disorder.

The belief that vaccines caused the recent increase in autism and other neurological disorders is not true at all. Recent studies show that there is no link between vaccines and autism and that the MMR shot [the shot that prevents mumps, measles, and rubella, the one that is believed to cause autism) actually decreases your chance of getting autism. It was actually the anti-vax supporters who contributed a lot to the measles outbreak because if they didn’t vaccinate their child, then someone else who also didn’t vaccinate their kid could contract the disease easily, spreading it throughout the country with the same cycle. From past years’ data, we know that this outbreak must’ve cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars. This all could have been prevented if the beliefs about vaccinations and autism were eradicated.

This is the MMR vaccine, the one believed to cause autism and other neurological diseases.

This trend of anti-vaccine beliefs has been going on for decades but has recently sparked up again due to the recent outbreaks of measles in the U.S.

The internet was also a big influence in the spread of this rumor. Celebrities such as Jenny Mccarthy and Dr. Sears were big supporters of anti-vaccination beliefs. This convinced thousands of people not to vaccinate their children.

A possible solution to this debate might be to make vaccines a legal requirement throughout the country. The problem with this is that although most people might be fine with the fact that it’s a law, other people might think that the government is forcing them to put something into their body that they don’t want. They might have their own beliefs about what they want to put into their bodies and they don’t want the government interfering with their own beliefs.

With the recent outbreaks, people from both sides are trying to understand what the benefits and the risks of such beliefs can cause. More and more studies are proving that autism is not caused by vaccinations, but people still choose to think that the risk of their child contracting this disorder is still present. The controversy is that we want to make sure that every person has a saying of what goes into their bodies but if people are sensitive to that, then there is no way that we can ensure that these outbreaks will never happen again.

One potential problem is that doctors don’t educate parents well enough on vaccines. Lack of information that it’s not a good idea to vaccinate their child vaccinated. If doctors were to actually inform people more about what vaccines do to their child, anti-vax supporters might actually be convinced that vaccines are just something to protect their child from something that could be deadly.

A brief history of the [false] connection between autism and vaccines including an explanation on who started the rumor and why it was not true.

Millions of people have died due to the diseases that vaccines are trying to prevent. One of the greatest inventions was, in fact, the vaccine. It helped prevent the deaths of millions of children and it will continue to do that unless another one of these outbreaks happens again. We can only hope that people that choose not to get their child vaccinated are very careful about where their child goes and that they make sure that their child doesn’t come down with a disease that could eventually be the cause of another mass outbreak.

Aytana Martinez, Editor-In-Chief

Aytana Martinez is an 8th grader in the STEAM Magnet program at Dana middle School. Aytana has one sister that goes to Dana. Aytana’s hobbies are to...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Vaccinations: A Review Of The Controversy”

1. sophia mather on March 6th, 2019 8:13 pm

In my opinion i think that i could be very dangerous that children do not get their vaccines and like you said if they catch one of those diseases it could spread and be harmful to a lot of people because sometimes vaccines don’t work and you could get that disease but if you don’t get it, it could possibly make child’s risks of getting it higher

2. Brandon on March 6th, 2019 10:09 pm

It is sad to see people not vaccinating there kids I hope this toxic trend ends.

3. Na on March 24th, 2019 10:06 pm

I think all parents should vaccinate there kids cause vaccines have been scientifically proven to prevent disease. Parents that or not allowing their kids to get vaccinations are putting their child in danger.

• Vaccinations: A Review Of The Controversy

Opinion

Eating Disorders: An Invisible Illness

Opinion

Should American Sign Language Be Taught in High Schools?

Opinion

The Problem With Logic’s Supermarket Album

Opinion

To Stand or Not to Stand

Automation VS Man: A Fight For The Community

California’s Death Penalty

Opinion

Are students required to buy their own materials?

Opinion

Is The Recent Kardashian Tea Really Worth National Headlines?

Opinion

Are The Grammys Out of Touch?

Opinion

The Pros and Cons of Seating Charts