Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social-Media-Manager

On February 19th, fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld died due to pancreatic cancer in Paris, France. Lagerfeld will go down in history as someone who had impacted the world of fashion and being best known for his work as Chanel’s creative director.

Karl “Otto” Lagerfeld was born on the 10th of September, 1933 in Hamburg, Germany. His parents were named Otto Lagerfeld and Elisabeth. He began his career while working as an assistant for the iconic fashion house, Balmain, after winning a competition of designing coats in 1954 at the age of 17. Lagerfeld had worked at the company for about 3 years, leaving in 1958. Afterwards, he became the artistic director for Jean Patou, which was a brand.

Lagerfeld winning the coat competition.

Later in 1967, Lagerfeld was hired by Fendi, an Italian luxury fashion house that produces fur. He was hired in order to modernize their fur line, meaning that he was hired to make the fur look more modern. Lagerfeld’s original and innovative design proved to be quite groundbreaking, as he had introduced the use of mole, rabbit, and squirrel pelts into high fashion. Lagerfeld had remained with the fashion company until his death.

In the 1980’s, Lagerfeld was hired by another fashion house, which is now the famous Chanel. At the time, the fashion house was basically considered a “near dead brand,” meaning it wasn’t too popular and was almost deemed a failure. It was considered nearly dead because the death of the designer, Coco Chanel, was a decade before. In Lagerfeld’s first year at Chanel, he had created irregular designs that had included both rabbit fur and squirrel fur, both of which had never before been used in fashion. Lagerfeld had incorporated fur, which back then was usually worn for special and nice occasions into everyday wear. He had continued to remain with the company until his death.

Lagerfeld at a Chanel Fashion Show.

Lagerfeld had brought life back into the company, making it a pretty huge success by revamping its fashion line. He had also integrated the well-known interlocked CC monograph of Coco Chanel into a style pattern for the Fashion House of Chanel. Without Lagerfeld, the famous monogram likely wouldn’t have existed without him. The monogram was designed to represent the Brand’s creator, Coco Chanel.

The Monogram for the fashion house Chanel.

Aside from his fashion designs, Lagerfeld is also known for photographing his own campaigns for Fendi and Chanel. He also does photography for magazine editorials, such as V-Magazine, which is an american magazine, as well as the German and Russian versions of Vogue. Because of his love for photography and books, he decided to open up a bookshop called 7L, which is located in Paris. The store offers a large variety and assortment of books mostly on fashion, architecture, and photography, among other topics of books.

Lagerfeld had also teamed up with another company, which is known as H&M. In 2004, he had teamed up with the fashion house to create a collection of women’s and men’s clothing. The collection, surprisingly enough, sold out immediately after the launch. He was also the first designer to have teamed up with the company.

In 2010, Lagerfeld received the Couture Council Fashion Visionary Award from the Fashion Institute of Technology, a special honor which was created just for him. Later in 2015, The British Fashion Council also honors Lagerfeld with an award, named the Outstanding Achievement Award at the British Fashion Awards, a ceremony in the UK to showcase individuals and businesses who’ve made the most outstanding contributions to the fashion industry. Another award Lagerfeld receives is the WWD John B. Fairchild Honor. He had also received another award at the Chanel couture show, as the mayor of Paris presents Lagerfeld with Paris’ highest honor, the Grand Vermeil medal.

Lagerfeld had first worked closely with models of the 80s, such as Linda Evangelista, who was a Canadian model, and Claudia Schiffer, who was a German model. In more recent years, the designer continued to take people under his wing and give them spots in their first-ever Chanel fashion shows, including Cara Delevingne and Bella Hadid.(Karl Lagerfeld and model Cara Delevingne.)

Lagerfeld with model Cara Delevingne.

When the news of Karl Lagerfeld’s death was released, many celebrities posted heartfelt tributes and emotive thanks to the designer on social media, but not all celebrities did. Actress Jameela Jamil was among a few voices on social media who had highlighted controversial comments that were made by Lagerfeld before his death. She wrote on Twitter and called the designer and creative director of Chanel a “misogynist,” which is a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.

Among many who had responded to Jamil’s tweet was Cara Delevingne, who had branded the actress disrespectful. She replied 42 minutes after the actress had posted the tweet, as the two had a conversation.

The many tweets that the two celebrities had.

pair had eventually stopped their conversation about the topic. Jamil had also added that the exchange was “really interesting thread between two people with very different views who aren’t trying to win, or be rude, just trying to appeal to the other’s empathy.”

Overall, Karl Lagerfeld has definitely changed the world of fashion. He was truly a fashion icon and without him, Chanel’s company may have not been a success. Although he had made some rude remarks towards others, he was still a very talented and creative designer and will be remembered to this very day.

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social Media Manager

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy is a current 7th grade student in the Dana Middle School STEAM Magnet program. Before attending Dana Middle School, she went to...

1 Comment

One Response to “Remembering Karl Lagerfeld”

1. jordyn on March 8th, 2019 11:41 am

rip tha homie

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

The Legacy of Vans Shoes

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

How to Be a Dana Mariner Journalist

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

Is Your Food Safe?

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

Getting to Know Autism

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

Disneyland’s Project Stardust

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

Are Print Books Disappearing?

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

Sport Spotlight: Volleyball

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

History of Cesar Chavez Day

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

The Benefits of Dogs

• Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

Features

College Spotlight: Cal State University of Long Beach

Remembering Karl Lagerfeld