Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Ana Rondeau, Staff Writer

Bernie Sanders was born in Brooklyn, New York City on September 8th 1941.  He studied and Brooklyn college from 1959-60 then transferred to the University of Chicago and graduated with a bachelor of the arts degree in political science.  He first started out as a member of the Liberty Union Campaigns and ran as a Liberty Union candidate for the governor of Vermont in 1972. In the past, Sanders has been known to be Liberal, and runs for office as a Democrat. 

Image result for bernie sanders 2020Bernie ran for president in the 2016 election and lost and is now running again in the 2020 election against Trump, Booker, Yang, Castro, Harris, Warren, Gabbard, Weld, Williamson, Buttigieg, Delaney, Gillibrand, and Klobucher.  This is only so far and there are likely to be other candidates. Out of the 14 candidates, 2 are Republicans and one of the Republicans is the current president (Donald Trump) trying to get re-elected. And 4 out of the 14 are women.  Bernie has mainly socialist beliefs, but during elections he runs with the Democratic party.

Image result for bernie sanders 2020For 16 years Bernie was a US representative then went to the US senate in 2006, where he was reelected in both 2012 and 2018.  When he ran for president in 2016 he defined his campaign as a, “political revolution” which was intended to encourage people to vote and “be a part of the change you want to see”. 

In 2016, his campaign focused on inequality between states. He believed that there should be a state administered health care system, an expansion of social security in Medicaid and Medicare systems, and more affordable higher education.  Economically he believed that taxes should be raised for the wealthy and the wage gap between men and women should be completely eradicated.

As for his personal life, he has an older brother, Larry Sanders, who is a British politician who is currently a health spokesperson for the Leftist Green of England and Wales.  In the election, this could affect him because he has connections with other countries. Bernie has been divorced and is currently married to Jane O’Meara who is a social worker and college administrator.  

Ana Rondeau, Staff Writer

Ana Rondeau is a seventh grader here at Dana Middle School and this is her first year in Journalism. She went to Park Western Elementary School and was...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Bernie Sanders Runs Again”

1. catie on March 6th, 2019 10:12 am

my dad was Bernie’s biggest supporters. Bernie sounds like a great person with brilliant ideas. I’m glad he’s running again .

2. BEST FRIEND OF ANA on March 6th, 2019 4:03 pm

Amazing! Love the insight on his life!

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

The High School Project: 6th Grade STEAM Students Create Infographics

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

Thank You, Next Drink

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

LA Times Annual Festival Of Books

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

6th Grade STEAM Students Create Restaurants From Around The World

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

Remembering Karl Lagerfeld

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

Classroom Coding: A Creative Pathway for Dana

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

Forensic Science: What’s Behind It?

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

College Spotlight: University Of California, Davis

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

African Americans Who Changed the World for the Better

• Bernie Sanders Runs Again

Features

Nike’s New Self Lacing Basketball Shoe

Bernie Sanders Runs Again