California Suing Trump

California Suing Trump

Isaac Sharp, Senior Staff

About a week ago, President Trump and his organization created new restrictions on abortion rights in the United States. California found these restrictions unjust and declared they will sue Trump. California filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration over a new regulation that bars taxpayer-funded family-planning clinics from providing abortion services or referrals.

At least a dozen other states also are preparing to challenge the so-called “gag rule,” that bars the use of Title X money “to perform, promote, refer for, or support abortion as a method of family planning.” The Title X program, which dates back to 1970, provides family-planning and related preventative health-care assistance to about 4 million low-income individuals each year through independent clinics, including many affiliated with Planned Parenthood. The new rule “makes notable improvements designed to increase the number of patients served and improve the quality of their care,” the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says. The regulation also requires clinics that perform abortions to do so in a separate building from where they conduct the rest of their services. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services wrote in its rule that the changes were necessary to eliminate the possibility that Title X funding could be used for abortion services, which is prohibited by federal law.

AJ Mendoza, a student at Dana, commented, “I say it’s not fair because as some pregnant woman decide to get an abortion, the added stress of the restrictions and moving from building to building isn’t fair. Mainly because they are already feeling the stress of the difficult decision of whether or not to have an abortion. (Do you think the restrictions will last?) No not really because if more and more woman want to have an abortion and making it more difficult than it already is doesn’t help so more people will want to fight to end the rules/restrictions.”

This marks California’s 47th lawsuit against the Trump administration. Along with California, 20 other states are suing the Trump administration. Oregon Gov. Kate Brown commented on the regulation saying, “Everyone deserves the ability make their own decisions about their health care. It is appalling that the federal government wants to rob individuals of the right to complete medical information and full access to the critical health care services they rely on.” Supporters of the rule, which include numerous religious and anti-abortion organizations, have pointed to how the Supreme Court upheld similar regulations in 1991′s Rust v. Sullivan decision in a 5-to-4 ruling. But those regulations, introduced under President Ronald Reagan and tied up in legal challenges, were in effect for only several weeks before the arrival of the Clinton administration, which then eliminated them.

As Trump’s time in office lessens, he and his administration may be taking bigger steps to get to their goals, will they work?

1 Comment

One Response to “California Suing Trump”

1. Diana Roman on March 19th, 2019 1:16 pm

A woman’s right to choose whether or not she will keep her baby is a personal choice and should not be made by the government or anyone else. The Trump administration’s regulatory proposals will not only make this difficult choice more stressful, they will also make reproductive healthcare more difficult for many women to access – at great risk to their health overall. Interview a female next time!

Good article!

• California Suing Trump

The Suicide Bombings in Sri Lanka

• California Suing Trump

Community News

The AltaSea Experience

• California Suing Trump

Explosion at Port of Los Angeles

• California Suing Trump

13 Year Joins Gaming Group FaZe Clan

• California Suing Trump

Los Angeles Rapper Nipsey Hussle Dead

• California Suing Trump

Apple vs Spotify: A New Rivalry In Music Streaming

• California Suing Trump

Community News

San Pedro Shootings Rattle Community

• California Suing Trump

Automation VS Man: A Fight For The Community

• California Suing Trump

Student Led Protests Highlight Climate Change

• California Suing Trump

California’s Death Penalty

California Suing Trump