The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

Names+of+all+the+famous+rock+bands+in+history+

The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

Names of all the famous rock bands in history

Emery Jovel, Features Editor

Rock music originated in the late 1940’s and evolved as it entered into the 1950’s. In present day, rock music is still loved and enjoyed from millions of fans worldwide. Rock bands such as R.E.M, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, and Queen were all praised and appreciated, long after the 80’s, where many believe that rock music was at its best. Even now, decades later, fans of rock music still listen to these phenomenal bands. But as you continue reading, I shall reveal to you who were the top ten rock bands who conquered the rock era in the 1980’s.

10. Metallica (1981 – Present Day)

Number 10 Epic Rock Band: Metallica

Delivering high quality music and with a powerful rhythm was what made Metallica known to the rock world. They are known for their strongest album ‘Kill Em’ All’ and for their extraordinary album ‘Ride The Lightning’. This epic rock band demonstrates a brooding message and an eerie tone in their music. Songs such as ‘Fade To Black’ and ‘Escape’ were what many fans found extremely powerful when listening to them. Personally, I enjoy listening to ‘Enter Sandman’ and ‘Nothing Else Matters’ from this group.

9. Journey (1973 – Present Day) 

Number 9 Epic Rock Band: Journey

We all know this famous American rock band by their popular song ‘Don’t Stop Believing’, which made 13th place for Top 100 Classic Rock Songs Ever. This group creates hard rock music, along with voice-oriented pop. As they were becoming known to the music world, they released various hit songs from 1978-1987. Their studio album ‘Escape’ became No. 1 on Billboard 200. Songs such as ‘Open Arms’, ‘Faithfully’, and ‘Any Way You Want It’, were glimpses that demonstrated Journey fans what this epic rock band is capable of. In addition, we all know the incredible vocals from Steve Perry who was Journey’s previous lead singer and from their current lead singer, Arnel Pineda. Arnel Pineda has often been compared to Steve Perry and many fans argue that Steve Perry is better, creating a controversial topic between the millions of Journey fans.

8. Iron Maiden (1975 – Present Day) 

Number 8 Epic Rock Band: Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden was one of the most respected heavy rock band during the 80’s. The band created a sound that was more advanced than hard rock, which distinguished the band from others. They created unique rhythms and the lead singer, Bruce Dickinson had a stunning vocal range, which drove fans crazy for their music. They were considered as one of the most successful heavy metal rock bands in history, releasing a series of albums across the US and UK. Some songs that Iron Maiden is known for is ‘Hallowed Be Thy Name’ and ‘Wasted Years’.

7. U2 (1976 – Present Day) 

Number 7 Epic Rock Band: U2

U2 is an Irish rock band who became big in the world of rock. Over the years, they have sold over 140 million albums. During the 80’s, U2 created identifiable sounds with their hit song ‘With Or Without You’, making a variety of people a fan, including me. The band consists  amazing guitar sounds and unique rhythm in their songs. Songs such as ‘One’, ‘Beautiful Day’, and ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’ are what attracted people to the group.

6. Def Leppard (1977 – Present Day)

Number 6 Epic Rock Band: Def Leppard

The band Def Leppard brought super catchy and highly processed songs during the 1980’s. They are considered as one of the best English rock band of all times. The band became extremely known in the world of music because of their album ‘Pyromania’. Many people favored Def Leppard because of their hit singles ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’, ‘Love Bites’, and ‘Armageddon It’. But with their fourth album ‘Hysteria’, they soon ruled the 1980’s.

5. Van Halen (1972 – Present Day) 

Number 5 Epic Rock Band: Van Halen

Van Halen built an ever-lasting legacy with classic rock and arena rock. The band created a good rhythm and imaginative guitar riffing in their music. Eddie Van Halen who is the main songwriter and founder, helped Van Halen become a huge success because of his diverse work and his striking guitar solos. If you listen to the albums, you can hear the intricate and gentle work that was created by the band. Their song ‘Jump’ was No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100. Their most successful album in the 1980’s was ‘1984’, making them even bigger in the music industry.

4. AC/DC (1973 – Present Day) 

Number 4 Epic Rock Band: AC/DC

This Australian rock band is known for their hit song ‘Highway To Hell’ performed by Bon Scott, who used to be the lead singer of AC/DC. But unfortunately for the band, Bon Scott died of asphyxia, which is where a person’s body deprives oxygen, or in other words; suffocation. Shortly after his death, he was replaced with Brian Johnson. But afterward as everyone was adjusting to the death of Bon Scott, the group was considered as ‘pioneers of heavy metal’. Brian Johnson sang ‘Back In Black’ which granted the band absolute success. They became the best selling band of all times, selling 200 million records worldwide.

3. Bon Jovi (1983 – Present Day) 

Number 3 Epic Rock Band: Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi is a glam and pop metal band who kept releasing hit songs even after most of the bands in the same genre faded away. The band uses different styles of music, turning them into one of the best selling bands of all time. They released twelve studio albums, two compilations, along with two live albums. Jon Bon Jovi, the lead singer of the band, steered them to fame and success with his amazing voice. Some songs that fans absolutely adore is ‘Wanted Dead Or Alive’, ‘Runaway’, ‘You Give Love A Bad Name’, ‘In & Out Of Love’, and ‘I’ll Be There For You’. My personal favorites from Bon Jovi is ‘Always’, ‘Miracle’, ‘Living On A Prayer’, and ‘Thank You For Loving Me’. Bon Jovi made themselves well-known in the music industry, creating a big name for themselves.

2. Guns N’ Roses (1985 – Present Day)

Number 2 Epic Rock Band: Guns N’ Roses

This band is made of the best lead vocalist, two of the greatest guitarist, and great bass player. They created original hit songs such as ‘Welcome To The Jungle’, ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’, ‘November Rain’, and ‘Paradise City’. Their studio album ‘Appetite For Destruction’ enjoyed a 147 week run on Billboard 100. Guns N’ Roses changed rock history instantly with their great hits and fine guitar riffling. Many fans still show their admiration to the great hard rock band.  

1. Queen (1970 – Present Day) 

Number 1 Epic Rock Band: Queen

Queen is of course considered as the greatest rock band of all time! Queen features electric music and genres such as root rock, funky dance pop, and arena rock. As we all know, Queen is a very unique band who always experimented with their music. As they became a phenomenal band worldwide, they sold between the range of 150 million to 300 million records. Their top three songs are ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, ‘Under Pressure’, and ‘We Will Rock You.’ In fact, Queen quickly became everybody’s favorite that the band was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. Even though Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, tragically died of aids, we still remember, adore, and admire him, his voice, and his music. Long live Queen!  

In sum, these are the top ten bands that the world knows and loves today. With Queen, Guns N’ Roses, and Bon Jovi as the top three, they have become the rock masters of the 1980’s we still listen to with much admiration.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s”

1. It's Pizza Time on March 16th, 2019 12:26 pm

Though they may not have been around in the 80s, I still think CCR is the greatest rock band ever

2. Isabella Lira on March 18th, 2019 9:56 am

Queen is the greatest rock band of all and Bohemian Rhapsody is one of their best songs. Too bad Freddie Mercury Died R.I.P their songs are just so unique.

Freddie: I think the galileos could be higher.

Roger: How many galileo’s do you want? Who is galileo anyway?

3. Milad on March 18th, 2019 9:57 am

I miss Queen so MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Milad on April 2nd, 2019 1:11 pm

I agree with Isabella

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

The Best Singles of 2019

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Movie Review: On the Basis of Sex

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

The Rise of Skywalker: Trailer Review

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Soar into the Movies with Dumbo

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Ten Books To Read Before High School

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Blackpink’s New Comeback for “Kill This Love” Has Kpop Fans Pleased

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Google’s New Gaming Console

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Virtual Reality Sets: Are They Worth It?

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

The New Twilight Zone: Does It Live Up?

• The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s

A&E

Can YouTuber-Musicians Be Taken Seriously?

The Top Ten Rock Bands Of The 1980’s