Nazi-Saluting At High School Party: A Community Outraged

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Earlier this week, images from a high school party located in Newport Beach of teenagers gathered around cups arranged in the shape of a Swastika surfaced, and the media is outraged. The images came from a SnapChat story; the images spread like wildfire and were posted on countless news sites and social media platforms. For those who may not know, the swastika was a symbol used to promote German pride and it was used in a mainly anti-semitic way. This symbol is considered to be extremely offensive in today’s culture.

An image taken from the party on the social media platform called SnapChat with the caption, “German Rage Cage.”

Once hearing about this, both the Newport-Mesa Unified School District and authorities began investigations to figure out the motives of the teenagers and to come to a proper decision on how the students should be punished. Not only were the students seeming to be saluting a man (Adolf Hitler) who single-handedly killed millions of people, but the images also insinuated underage drinking, which of course caught the attention of the Newport Beach and Costa Mesa Police Departments.

These two departments are hard at work to find a plan of action for how to approach this situation and what is to be done about the students. Many are worried about the effect that this will have on not only the community but on the students who openly practice Judaism. To put it differently, how would you feel if a large group of your peers did something like this to offend your religion?

Izabella Chavez, an 8th grade student at Dana MS says, “Hearing about this issue makes me worry. It also makes me wonder if kids at my own school would contribute to similar behaviors… I think that the parents of these students may feel disappointed and uneasy on what’s next in their kids future.”

What is even more unsettling about this issue is that the students that partook in the salute to Hitler may not have known the extremities of the horrific things that Hitler did to millions of innocent people. This event [the Holocaust] is one that should never be forgotten in history, and his acts should be taught explicitly to the youth so the world never repeats his feelings of hatred and malicious murders again.

This event is extremely significant because Hitler was a truly evil person and these teenagers proved that these extremely strong and destructive feelings towards Jewish people have not been extinguished yet. Word of this sickening occurrence spread fast, and so did the shared feelings of apprehension and disgust throughout the community; many feel disappointment, others are even afraid for their own safety. Now, the community is in a rush to find a solution to this issue.

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Samantha Brown is an 8th grade STEAM Magnet student here at Dana Middle school. This is her second year in Journalism. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Nazi-Saluting At High School Party: A Community Outraged”

1. hi on March 15th, 2019 11:38 am

hey girl hey love your article disappointed in what they were doing tho

2. Augden Weaver on March 18th, 2019 6:28 pm

this act is totally immature and outrageous honesty they should find the kids who did this and punish them, i would like to know why they did this.

3. kyle on March 25th, 2019 11:05 am

this is not cool and it is mean because mr ramanou is jewish and he is a cool dude

• Nazi-Saluting At High School Party: A Community Outraged

The Suicide Bombings in Sri Lanka

Community News

The AltaSea Experience

Explosion at Port of Los Angeles

13 Year Joins Gaming Group FaZe Clan

Los Angeles Rapper Nipsey Hussle Dead

Apple vs Spotify: A New Rivalry In Music Streaming

Community News

San Pedro Shootings Rattle Community

Automation VS Man: A Fight For The Community

Student Led Protests Highlight Climate Change

California’s Death Penalty