Thank You, Next Drink

Eliana Flores, A&E Editor

Ariana Grande is a huge pop-star with many accomplishments in her life. She has come out with multiple albums, she has won many awards, she has came out with beauty products (perfume), and now, she has her very own Starbucks drink? That is right, Ariana Grande has a featured a new Starbucks drink.

This new drink is a little twist on an original Caramel Macchiato, which consists of caramel, espresso, milk, and topped off with a creamy foam.  According to Starbucks, this is how they make this drink; “The delicious, multi-layered Macchiato begins with milk steamed until it’s stretched and smooth to bring out its natural sweetness and is topped by a dense, creamy foam. Then, rich espresso is poured over and through the foam, where it mixes with the milk and creates a brown mark on top.” But this is not the new drink.

The new drink is the Cloud Macchiato, and it is a new drink that Ariana Grande has created. According to CNBC, “The Cloud Macchiato is a new take on an old favorite. The macchiato, an espresso drink, with a splash of foam on top. It has been on the chain’s menu for more than four decades. Starbucks started adding caramel to its macchiatos in 1996. The Cloud Macchiato comes either iced or hot, and it features a cold, airy foam on top, hence the “cloud” name. To achieve a creamy texture and flavor without any cream, the coffee chain adds a mixture that includes egg whites to its cold foam.”

So why would Ariana Grande make a drink that has pretty much already been made, or just make it in the first place? She made this delicious drink because she really loves clouds. Last year Ariana Grande released a perfume that is called Cloud, and that really became a hit perfume. But she also made this made this drink because she has a serious coffee addiction, some fans may say. On her social media she posted a picture of the drink and captioned it with #starbucksambassador on it.

Ariana Grande’s social media post.

But there has been some controversy over this amazing drink. Fans who have known Ariana Grande for a long time now know she is a Vegan. But what does this have to do with a Starbucks drink. Well, fans are making a big deal because she is a vegan and the main ingredient of the Cloud Macchiato are egg whites. When you are a vegan you can’t eat or drink anything that has products that contain anything from an animal in it. According to people’s tweets and responses, “I thought Starbucks new drink since it’s being endorsed by Ariana Grande would be able to be made vegan since you know she IS vegan, but upon research it has egg white powder in. V sad.”, “how is Ariana Grande promoting the new starbucks cloud macchiato when she’s vegan when the drink contains egg and dairy lmao.” But on another perspective, the non vegan side. “Why are people getting mad at Ariana for having her name behind a non vegan Starbucks drink…..she hasn’t said she’s vegan in years she might not even be anymore lol. Also who cares she can’t control the world.”

On the other hand, I did try this drink and I thought it was amazing. The way the drink tasted was amazing. When you first taste it, you get the strong espresso flavor then you get the sweetness of the caramel, and then you get the foamy bit and it is just heaven. Just a little disclaimer though, get it only when you are tired or need energy. The drink is great for that.

But how did it taste from another person’s perspective? Well 7th grader Sophia Caserma says, “The Cloud Macchiato at Starbucks was good at first, but then when I was drink a little bit more of the coffee, it kicked in and was overpowering to drink so I kind of had to mix the top with the actual coffee so it would taste a little bit less strong.”

In the end, Ariana’s new drink is gonna be a real hit just like her songs. So the next time you are listening to Ariana Grande try to get your hand on the Cloud Macchiato.

Eliana Flores, A&E Editor

Eliana Flores, one of the many 7th grade students at Dana Middle School and one of the 25 students in Journalism is a second year Journalism student. Before...