Most Iconic Shoe Brand Nike Has Rough Year

Sicily James, Staff Writer

2018-2019 is probably one of Nike’s worst years because they didn’t have a lot of customers and the designs of there shoes weren’t getting a financial hit this year. They had a lot of problems with their shoes from tearing, and the material that is used making the Nikes isn’t working out for them. A lot of Nike customers are saying that the prices of their shoes are overpriced and they should be selling like that if they’re going to tear. A lot of their customers are also wondering if there is a warranty to their Nike shoes that have ripped

There have been many rumors of the Colin Kaepernick theory that people have various opinions on and it had become a problem to our president and our citizens. It had soon become popular and they made it an Ad because it kind of  debate and Colin Kaepernick was essentially banned from the football field and is currently not playing. He had kneeled during the Pledge of Allegiance in 2018. He had kneeled because he was protesting in the fight against police brutality and racial injustice. Nike is taking a high at risk of supporting Kaepernick because a lot of customers dislike his protest. The ad had disturbed many of its customers. Nike takes sides, tapping Colin Kaepernick for new ‘Just Do It’, by Nathaniel Meyersohn. Nike is taking a risk because a lot of their customers disagree with Kaepernick’s campaign or protest and a lot of them agree with this decision that Nike is making. I think this might of been a good idea tapping Colin Kaepernick because it got to a lot of people and they stepped out, and you were able to hear their voices as well and their opinion.

Trump and his allies have repeatedly seized on this issue. At a rally in Alabama last year, Trump said team owners should “get that son of a b**** off the field.” This shows that Trump and associates did not support the protest. This matters because our president can impact a lot of the public’s opinions. By supporting Kaepernick they are taking a huge risk that could impact their business, because of their customers’ opinions.

Duke college basketball player Zion Williamson shoe exploded

Another reason why Nike has had a bad year is because Duke College Basketball player Zion Williamson is currently injured from the cause of his Nike PG 2.5 of exploding through the side of his sneaker it caused him to suffer from a knee injury that ended his night on the court. Nike stocks had also dropped after the Zion Williams incident.After everybody had heard about his shoes exploding customers finally felt like they had a voice and started saying that their shoes were similar to his shoes the night they exploded they had said that their shoes looked like they had exploded as well.

Nike was originally from Portland Oregon and that’s where they had started their business. The original name was Blue Ribbon Sports and it imported Onitsuka Tiger running footwear from Japan. Nike first opened its first retail outlet in 1966 and launched the Nike Brand shoe in 1972. The creator of Nike is Phill Knight he wanted to name the company “Dimension 6” but it never happened. Nike has been in the business for a while now but this year just wasn’t their year.

Do you agree that Nike has had a bad year?  I certainly agree that they have had a bad year. They’ve been through some trouble this year with a lot of their stuff. A lot of their customers weren’t happy with their values and how they had to experience their Nikes ripping. I don’t wear Nikes, but I’m my opinion I wouldn’t be happy with the price I’m paying for Nikes if they’re not going to last long.

Sicily James, Staff Writer

Sicily James is 7th grader here at Dana Middle School. Before Dana she attended White Point Elementary school. She is not completely sure what she wants...