Tornado Strikes Upon Alabama

Tornado Strikes Upon Alabama

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social-Media-Manager

On Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 in Alabama, a tornado wreaked havoc in the state, killing 23 people and injuring 77 others.

A tornado watch for Lee County, where the tornado had struck, was issued at 11:40 AM CST. The first tornado warning was issued at 1:58 PM CST, which was issued 5 minutes before the first damage report in the county. The tornado was one of the deadliest tornado events in the state since 2011, when back then more than 230 people across Alabama were killed that April back in 2011.

Out of the 23 victims, the youngest was a six-year-old boy and the oldest was an 89 year old man. One family alone lost 7 people. Dozens of others were injured during the tornado, with about 77 patients from certain areas that were affected by the disaster were hospitalized on Sunday. For survivors of the disaster, the effort starts now for them to pick up pieces. Residents have been told that they can start by pushing debris that’s on their properties to the edge of the roadways for eventual pickup.

The destruction from the tornado completely wrecked many homes.(courtesy of the New York Times)

As the disaster tore across the county, the twister had stretched for nearly a mile. That’s four times wider than the average tornado, which typically measures 300-400 yards across. Surveys of the destruction indicated that the tornado was an EF-4, which is the second-highest level on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, a scale for rating tornado intensity. The twister was the first EF-4 tornado to hit the U.S. since one that had hit Texas. In fact, roughly about 80% of tornadoes that hit the U.S. are EF-0 or EF-1 tornadoes on the scale.

The Fujita Scale for tornadoes.

Then on Friday, March 8th, President Trump visited the battered regions of the state five days after the 23 people were killed in the tornado. Trump had said that he pledged his “unwavering support” to the residents of Lee County. “It’s a tragic situation but a lot of work is getting done.” he said on Tuesday, March 5th at the White House.

Trump pays his respect to the 23 that were killed. (Courtesy of Carolyn Kaster)

One of the victims include a fourth grader, named Taylor Thornton. Stan Cox, the head of her school, Lee-Scott Academy, confirmed after meeting with her parents. “Very inquisitive, she had loved learning and always contributed in a positive way,” Cox had said. “People were better because they were with her and now our school feels empty without her.”

Gravestones for the victims of the disaster (from Ledger-Enquirer)

The recent tornado during on Sunday was devastating and chaotic. It impacted the state as a whole, as people are also helping and donating to the victims and survivors. People have been sending supplies, clothes, and other items to the people. A Native American tribe had also donated $184,000 to cover the cost of the victims’ funerals, whom are called the Poarch Band of Creek Indians. Other local organizations are also donating towards the funeral funds, and many of the families are thankful.

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social Media Manager

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy is a current 7th grade student in the Dana Middle School STEAM Magnet program. Before attending Dana Middle School, she went to...