Twenty Øne Pilots, Then to Now

Twenty Øne Pilots, Then to Now

Alyssa Mack and Amelia Harrison

The band that started in 2009 from being a group of highschool friends and is now going on tour, Twenty Øne Pilots has grown a lot these past ten years.

Twenty Øne Pilots also known as TØP started in 2009 in Columbus, Ohio, as a group of a few friends from school, Tyler Joseph, Nick Thomas and Chris Salih. After two years and an album, Chris and Nick decided to move one and were very shortly replaced by drummer, Josh Dun. This made the duo we know and love today. Shortly after, in 2012, they were signed to Fueled by Ramen and produced their next albums.

After they released their hit album Blurryface, they went on hiatus for three years to focus on new music and that’s why they had a big comeback last year and this year with their newest album Trench and The Bandito Tour. they have been touring all around the world since October and still have some to go. Unfortunately, the tour here in LA was in November there are  many more to come.

The band doesn’t have a set genre but they play a lot of alternative music. They even opened for the iHeartRadio ALTer EGO concert in January. The main reason that they go between many different kind of music is simply because they didn’t really want to. They talk about it in their song Lane boy.

The “trench” in “dema”

In most of Twenty Øne Pilots’ songs they have storys and different meanings that relate back to mental illness and depression. They in their newer albums they have stuff like Dema, the part of you brain that deals with depression that you can’t get out of, and Banditos, the people that help you out of that place of darkness.

They are the most well known for helping people through their music. 8th grader Juliana Terzoli liked them because of it, “I like that they help people and try to help no matter what they put out.”

Outside of their music, they also have a family life. Tyler has been married to his wife, Jenna for 4 years. When Tyler was younger he played basketball and his position was point guard. His hometown is Columbus, Ohio which is also where the band formed. He also has two brothers, Zack and Jay with a sister named Madison.

On the other hand, Josh has just proposed to his new fiance, Debby Ryan. He is 30 and she is 25. Jim dun is Josh’s famous puppy that goes on tour with them. He also has two sisters, Abigail and Ashley, and a brother, Jorden.

About the Writers
Alyssa Mack, Business Manager

Alyssa Mack is a 7th grade STEAM student here at Dana Middle School. Before Alyssa came to Dana Middle school, she attended  15th Street Elementary School....

Amelia Harrison, Senior Staff Writer

Amelia Harrison is a 7th grade Journalism student here at Dana Middle School. She proudly attended Point Fermin Elementary school for all 6 years.

Amelia...