Five National Dishes You Must Eat On St. Patrick’s Day

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

St. Patrick’s Day is a holiday to remember. From the laughter of friends and family, all the way to the delicious food set on the table. So make these 5 dishes that are a must on your St.Patty’s Day to-do list.

1- Shepherd’s Pie

Even though most of you may know what shepherds pie is, did you know that it was actually started when a person used leftover roasted meat to create a simple dinner? This delicious dish starts of with the filling of meat doused in a gravy sauce mixed with chopped onions or other vegetables like peas, celery, and carrots. It’s then baked with a layer of creamy mashed potatoes to top it off. This dish was originated in Ireland and was spread throughout the states while food articles posted information about it.

2- Colcannon

This amazing dish will blow your mind away like it did for me (no pun intended). It’s actually a mashed potato, kale (or cabbage), milk, butter, salt n’ pepper, and vinegar meal mixed up. It’s mostly eaten in autumn or winter when it’s cold out because the kale is finally in season. Most people eat this meal because it’s basically staple food (eaten routinely and in such quantities that it constitutes a dominant portion of a standard diet for given people, supplying a large fraction of energy needs and generally forming a significant proportion of the intake of other nutrients as well). This dish had also originated in Ireland by people who wanted to eat something delicious, but not to expensive.

3- Irish Soda Bread

Irish soda bread consists of buttermilk, eggs, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and butter. It was originated as a product of a poor country and was not really famous at the time but gradually started to make its name out there. Irish soda bread uses baking soda ( or as said in Ireland, bread soda) is used as a leavening agent instead of traditional yeast.

4- Corned Beef

Corn beef is basically a salt-cured beef. Many New Zealand people use it for delicious lunch sandwiches every day because of how inexpensive it is in their area. Usually it would cost $2.99 per lb. But New Zealand marks it down because its in a can. Corn beef was surprisingly not originated in Ireland, it was originated in New York by Irish immigrants in the 19th century.

5- Dublin Cobbler

Dublin cobblers are made up of leftovers consisted of sausage, onions, carrots, chunky potatoes, salt, pepper, and herbs. The traditional Dublin cobbler uses barley instead of different herbs. This meal was often eaten on Thursday because Catholics were not allowed to eat meat on Fridays and allowed families to use their leftovers.

Kaitlyn Bolling, Staff Writer

Kaitlyn Bolling is a Journalism student here at Dana Middle school Honor Roll Program. Kaitlyn is currently in 8th grade. She attended Barton Hill for...