Pitch: The New Fox Series that Defies Gender Norms

The fictional show is centered around the first female baseball player to make it to the Major Leagues.

Destiny Mitchell, Entertainment Editor

“Pitch” is a fictional drama series on Fox that aired on September 22, 2016 and comes on every Thursday. “Pitch” was created by Dan Fogelman. The show is mostly shot in San Diego at Petco Park considering that’s where the Padres actually play.

The fictional show is centered around the first female baseball player to make it to the Major Leagues. Ginny Baker played by Kylie Bunbury is a 23 year old pitcher who is recognized for her famous screwball by the San Diego Padres. The show reveals the struggle of Ginny’s life as the first female MLB player. After being in the farm system for the Padres for more than five years, Ginny gets pulled out of the “farm” and is given a spot on the Padre’s starting line-up. In the show, Baker was very much compared to Jackie Robinson considering he was the first black baseball player to make it to the major leagues and she was the first female to make it to the major leagues. 

“Pitch” is an inspirational show that defies gender norms. Even though “Pitch” is a drama series, it shows the differences between how women and men are stereotyped, particularly related to the world of baseball.

Many people have different opinions on the show, Dana Middle School student, Annika Hernandez  feels that “It [the show] really supports women’s rights, and helps motivate other women to do the same [pursue sports] and feel inspired as well.”

Actress Kylie Bunbury playing the part of inspiring character Ginny Baker

Actress Kylie Bunbury playing the part of inspiring character Ginny Baker.

Photo: Michael Becker/Fox

The pilot of the show shows the backstory of Baker’s motivation for pursuing baseball as a career. Ginny’s dad was always a big fan of baseball, and one day while her dad was trying to teach her brother how to throw, Ginny’s brother gave up. This gave Ginny the opportunity to step up to the plate. Ginny’s dad was surprised at Ginny’s strong throw, not only because of her age but the fact that Ginny is a girl. 

Make sure to catch this inspirational show on Thursdays on Fox.