The High Cost of Privilege

Amelia Harrison, Senior Staff Writer

On Tuesday, March 12th, Lori Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli with many more people were accused for paying to get their children into college.

Prosecutors had charged 50 people for their alleged involvement in a unlawful activities to ensure they were admitted to certain competitive famous universities such as, Yale and USC. The activities that the the parents had been charged with bribes to coaches and people involved with testing process, fake exam scores and lying about student biographies. This was all to help make sure that their children are guaranteed a spot in their college. 33 parents had been charged of this act and most of them were well known, such as Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman. William Singer, the person who had guided these parents to the right people and made sure that these parents were satisfied with their wants, was also charged. Several college athletic coaches were accused with accepting bribes to suggest that they are top athletes.

With better test scores prosecutors say that parents had spent around $15,000 to $75,000 just so their kids could get higher test scores. Not just that, but Singer had suggested that parents should get a learning disability waiver which makes so that students can get longer test time with the advantage of not having regular supervision.

There were three ways cheating had went down with this scandal, one of them was that someone would take the SAT or ACT for the student. Another way was that one person would act as the person monitoring the students during an exam and they would guide the them to the correct answer. The last way of cheating was someone would look over and rectify the students test after they were taken. Most of the time, their children never knew what was happening with their tests.

Images of athletes were changed by being photoshopped and false athletic achievements had been added to their college applications.

When parents had made payments to Singer it would be disguised as a “donation” so it would go through the universities organization so it could be written off of their taxes.

This has affected a lot of people in such as, Singer has been pleaded guilty with multiple charges but was released with a $500,000 bond. The students were not charged but were affected, such as Olivia Jade who is a YouTuber with almost 2 million subscribers who had lost her sponsorship with Sephora. The parents have been charged but not pleaded guilty. If the parents do plead guilty their sentences can be lessened. Lori Loughlin also lost her acting contracts with Fuller House and Hallmark. Coaches also have been affected like the men’s UCLA soccer coach and Stanford’s sailing coach.

Yes, this isn’t the first time these things have happened but this is the biggest scandal we’ve known of. Not only did this affect the people involved it had also affected students here at Dana. Such as Jillian Litton, a 7th grader here at Dana said, “I think it isn’t fair and takes away chances from other kids who actually worked hard to get into the college. It is also really selfish because it shows that the kids couldn’t get into the college on their own, and took away a chance for another kid who worked hard to get into the college.”