Charity Spotlight: San Pedro Peninsula Cancer Guild

Cancer research can help the world, and save a lot of lives. It has been getting funding but it could always use more. Courtesy of the University of Chicago Campain

Arianna Cau, News Editor

San Pedro Peninsula Cancer Guild is a charity that helps to fund cancer research. They have been around for 35 years and haven’t slowed down since then.

Cancer is a very serious illness. The type varies and can eat away at a person unless it is treated properly. There are more than 100 types of cancer, which means that cancer research has to progress in each one. Currently, the deadliest type of cancer is pancreatic cancer, with a death rate over a five year period being 94%. It has taken the lives of some of our favorite celebrities like Aretha Franklin, Steve Jobs, and many more.

Cancer research, if effective, can save a lot of lives. Currently, 38% of humanity has cancer. In one year, researchers spent about 5 billion dollars a year on cancer research. And in all, researchers receive 6 billion dollars a year. They are getting their money back but what are the researchers being paid? According to Study.com, researchers get paid between $82,000 and $103,000 yearly, which means that they can only get paid up to 2,000 dollars a week. That is a good amount, but it is less than half of what normal doctors make, which means funding needs to go up.

The San Pedro Peninsula Cancer Guild (SPPCG) has been around since 1984, and it was started by Josephine Nizetich. In 1995, they partnered with the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and have remained partners. SPPCG was started in San Pedro, but it is mainly based in the south Los Angeles area where they have their events. Currently, their big yearly event is a fashion show they do at the Hyatt in November. They also do online donations on their website.  

A survey was done with a group of students about cancer research. Out of 25 responses, 100% of the students said that more money should be put toward cancer research.

Arianna Cau
The survey responses for if the students have been impacted by cancer.

As seen in the chart above, 68% (17) of the students that agreed have had involvement with cancer. The survey also asked how civilians can help. Most of the students said for more fundraisers and putting more money toward cancer research. Another student by the name of Michella Infantozzi answered how civilians can help with, “By better medical attention to those who need it and not something that doesn’t cost so much because cancer treatment that already cost so much already.”

Overall, SPPCG is giving to a good cause and if you or your parents can, you should donate here. Cancer research can help save many lives and can help not just the U.S, but the entire world.