Are Print Books Disappearing?

Are Print Books Disappearing?

America Juarez, Staff Writer

When was the last time you purchased a printed book? They have been slowly disappearing due to the rise of e-books. E-books (an electronic version of a printed book) have been becoming popular over the years and the reason why is because of the growth in technology.

Over the last decade, e-books have become a huge success. In 2017, more than forty million ebooks were sold. ebooks made up most of those sales with 240 million books sold. About 42 percent of Americans have read a book on an electronic device. A study was made that shows book sales went from 69 percent to 63 percent. It may not seem like a lot, but it did affect the book industry. 7th grader Argelia Orozco says, “ One of the reasons why I think ebooks suddenly became popular is because everyone has an electronic device. It’s way more convenient than carrying a heavy book.” But 7th graders Marisol Herrera disagrees, “Something bad about e-books, is that you need an electronic device to read it. Some don’t have enough money to buy a phone or a device.”

This what the Amazon Kindle looks like

Something that helped e-books gain popularity were products such as the Barnes and Noble NOOK and the Amazon Kindle. At first when the Kindle was released in 2007, it only had 90,000 titles. Now it has more than 5 million titles. The variety in books and titles helps these products stay relevant. When the NOOK first came out in 2008, sales skyrocketed 1,260 percent.  According to a (add link) study, Amazon accounts for more than 80 percent of ebook sales in the US. Apple has even came up with their own idea to sell ebooks. IBook was released in 2010.

Not only are ebooks favored, but they help people. E-reading helps your comprehension, industry people that suffer with Dyslexia. In a high school, scientist studied 103 students with Dyslexia and they compared reading on a paper and a e-reader device found that the use of the device  improved speed and comprehension, when compared with the traditional way of reading. Another study was made with 400 kindergarteners through the age of 4-5. They found that kids who read animated e-books understood the story better and learned more vocabulary than those who read static ones.

As technology is growing so are e-books. The growth in e-books isn’t bad at all; it comes with many benefits. But as the years roll by, it’s more probable that print books will come to an end.

America Juarez, Staff Writer

America Juarez is a 7th grade student on the SAS program here at Dana Middle School. She is a new staff member who will contribute her ideas, opinions,...