Sport Spotlight: Volleyball

Sport Spotlight: Volleyball

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

For many years, volleyball has been a sport favored by many. In this article, we will explore the history of the sport and how it has evolved from the past to the present day.

The sport volleyball first began with William G. Morgan over 100 years ago [1895]. He named the game ‘mintonette.’  His idea behind the game was that he wanted this sport to be a mixture of already existing sports such as handball, basketball, tennis, and baseball. A significant event in volleyball history was in 1984; this was the year that volleyball was finally included in the Olympic Games. The men’s team representing the United States won gold, and the women won silver. These wins proved how the United States were able to cultivate volleyball into an extremely popular sport. This was a significant event because it showed that volleyball isn’t only a national sport, but a worldwide sport.

William G. Morgan, the original creator of the sport volleyball, originally known as mintonette.

In the next Olympic Games [1996], two man beach volleyball was incorporated into the games. It was at this point of time that volleyball grew from a semi-popular indoor sport to an extremely popular sport that can be played on multiple courts [indoor and beach].

Throughout the years, volleyball has grown from a brand-new game that wasn’t necessarily well put together to a worldwide professional sport that’s played by people of almost any age. The sport has changed drastically not only by the name of it or how popular it is but how the actual structure and rules of the game changed over time. To elaborate, one thing that changed was the overall height of the net. The height of a standard net for women is 7 feet, 4 ⅛ inches and the height of a standard net for men is 7 feet, 11 ⅝ inches. However, in the early 1900’s the net was only 6’6”. The change in net height not only made the sport more difficult but also pushed the people that play it to learn more rigorous techniques and rotations to adapt to a higher net.

Another major addition to volleyball was a technique that the majority of volleyball teams and organizations include in their offense. This technique is widely known as setting and spiking. This offensive strategy is a crucial part of playing the sport because it gives a team a better chance of winning due to the amount of power a spike allows a person to inflict on the ball.

Stella Dommer, an 8th grade student here at Dana Middle School says, “I enjoy playing volleyball because its a very involved sport; your whole team needs to work together to be successful. My favorite part of the sport is the fact that you create relationships with your teammates and get into a rhythm together and that’s just the best feeling ever.”

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Samantha Brown is an 8th grade STEAM Magnet student here at Dana Middle school. This is her second year in Journalism. She is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of...