Apple vs Spotify: A New Rivalry In Music Streaming

Spotify and Apple have recently been at odds and this has caused controversy. Courtesy of Neowin

Neowin

Neowin

Neowin

Arianna Cau, News Editor

On March 13th, 2019, Spotify made a complaint to the European Commission about Apple’s use of the Apple App Store. This has caused Spotify and Apple to be in direct competition with one another.

This all started with Spotify, who made the complaint. According to the Spotify Newsroom, the reasons for the complaint were: 1. Not discriminate other apps from the Apple App Store, 2. That they have a 30% tax that makes consumer prices higher, and 3. Apple monitoring promotions. They addressed in the article that they wanted to change that and that they should even the playing field. Spotify adds on to their reasoning and says to WIRED,  “We want the same fair rules for companies young and old, large and small. It is about supporting and nurturing the healthy ecosystem that made our two companies successful in the first place.”

When you make a complaint to the European Commission about something, it’s a big deal. As stated in the European Commission website, “You can contact the European Commission about any measure (law, regulation or administrative action), absence of measure or practice by a country of the European Union that you think is against Union law.” Meaning that Spotify thought that the Apple App Store is unlawful.

However, Apple came back with their side of the story. According to a press release on the Apple Newsroom, the purchases made in the Apple App Store do not make much off of other apps, just through the app purchase and that the 30% revenue they make drops to 15% after 1 year and on. They also added that they didn’t agree with their business model, and how they want to “keep all those benefits while also retaining 100 percent of the revenue.”

Currently, the public has joined this war of pricing. While some agree with Spotify, others agree with Apple. This is because a lot of people have Apple products, and a lot of people use Spotify. 8th grader Izabella Chavez says “I believe that Apple is correct because they have been successful for the past decade and Spotify has just come out. If Apple was in the wrong for ‘overpriced products’ they would have been out of business a long time ago.”

To conclude, Apple and Spotify are at odds, and probably will be for a while. Until they settle this, the digital world may possibly be experiencing some changes.

Arianna Cau, News Editor

Arianna Cau is an eighth grader attending Dana Middle School. Before she attended Dana, she attended White Point Elementary School. As a part of The Dana...