San Pedro Shootings Rattle Community

San Pedro Shootings Rattle Community

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Social-Media-Manager

On Thursday, March 28th, 2019 in San Pedro, two brothers were shot and killed and another victim was injured.

The two victims were brothers, and were identified as Jason Agustin Montes, 24, and Justin Antonio Montes, 25. At around 9:45 pm, the brothers were walking on the sidewalk at Pacific Avenue and Santa Cruz Street to the liquor store while a vehicle approached nearby. A person then got out from the car, which was the gunman. Police had said that the gunman had walked up to them and then fired multiple gunshots at the brothers, hitting them fatally before the gunman fled. Their car could be seen leaving the street.  Jason was found dead at the scene, while Justin on the way to the hospital was then pronounced as dead. Both of them were fathers of young children.

The scene of the crime. (courtesy of CBS)

Just a few hours from the shooting that had occured, a third man was wounded shortly afterwards around 11:45 PM at 11th and South Palos Verdes Street, San Pedro. The man was a 38-year-old who was walking along a street when a gunman had then shot him. The unidentified man was taken to the hospital for a treatment of a non-life threatening bullet wound. He is in stable condition.

A detailed description of who the suspect was wasn’t available and it was also unclear whether the shooting was gang related or not, but police and detectives are saying that they believe it was gang-related. The gunman’s motive were also unclear, detectives had also said about the crime. The investigation is still ongoing.

Gun crime and violence in San Pedro is usually uncommon, but is still an urgent and unresolved problem that can endanger adults, kids, and teens’ lives. According to LA Times, over the last 6 months, about 193 violent crimes were committed, which include that of gun crimes.

Although gun crimes have declined throughout the months and years, it is still urgent. Gun crimes can affect police, adults, and most importantly students. 7th Grader STEAM student Danica commented, “Gun crime is violent because you should shoot someone and they could die. It (also) usually feels more safe in school because of all the guards and teachers.” She basically explains that things feel safer in school but implies that the area feels less safer and more dangerous as of the recent shooting. Crimes that relate to guns, like the recent crime that occurred, can make an impact.