The Rise of Skywalker: Trailer Review

The Rise of Skywalker: Trailer Review

Eliana Flores, A&E

Star Wars is a huge movie franchise that has made a total of eight fantastic movies, two side stories, countless comic books, novels, and multiple TV shows made for its Star Wars fans. Recently though Disney has made a highly desired trailer for the next Star Wars Movie, The Rise of Skywalker.  

The Rise of Skywalker trailer was debuted on April 12, 2019, and is set to be in box office on December 20th of this year all over the world. The trailer begins with Rey in the desert of an unknown planet. Rey then ignites her lightsaber and begins sprinting, faster and faster until seconds later, Kylo Ren’s ship comes up speeding toward her. She then dodges his charge with a beautiful force jump, following with majestic flip in the air. We then see Kylo Ren throw a person down to the ground, after brutally impales a Rebel with his deadly red lightsaber. Just a little ways past the previous scene, we see Kylo Ren rebuilding his old mask, as he had destroyed it by bashing it into the elevator wall in The Last Jedi. Then we see Finn and Poe Dameron back together again as they stand together in a desert, standing at a rock formation, followed by a scene of the rare droid BB-8. Next, comes a scene with Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca on the Millenium Falcon once again! Well, I guess Han Solo’s quote, “Over my dead body” did not apply because he is dead and Lando got back on the Falcon. Ok, too soon, I guess…

We quickly cut to another scene with Finn and Poe fighting together in battle on a desert. Followed by that, we have a scene with a girl holding a metal like medallion, then we see Rey and Princess Leia hugging each other, looking as though they are crying in each other’s arms. Yet another scene flashes on camera where Rey, Poe, Finn, Chewbacca, BB-8, and C3PO standing on a hill looking toward the leftover remains of one of the previous Death Stars that was featured in the first six movies. Butone of the most shocking surprises in trailer occurs at the end of the trailer when we hear a person laughing. That laugh happens sound a lot like Lord Palpatine.

Let’s take a trip back to the first six movies. Palpatine is a Sith Lord, and he was the ruler of the Sith and Darth Vader’s Empire. But at one point in the first three Star Wars movies, he was the ruler of the Senate as well. Palpatine was the person who made Anakin into Darth Vader. But as some of you guys know Palpatine dies in the Return of the Jedi. But at the end of the Rise of Skywalker trailer, there is a long deep laugh, which fans are making a big deal about because they are thinking that it could be that Palpatine is back.

In the movie there was many actors. The actors include Daisy Ridley as Rey, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian, John Boyega as Finn, Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron, Kelly Marie Tran as Rose Tico, Lupita Nyong’o as Maz Kanata, Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux, Anthony Daniels as C3PO, Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca, Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine, and Greg Grunberg as Snap Wexley. Carrie Fisher will also be the lead person for Princess Leia, but because she had sadly passed away, Disney is going to use a cameo from their previous Star Wars movies.

But why would Lucasfilm decide to make yet another Star Wars movie on some of the older characters that were in the first six movies? According to Wookiepedia, the official Star Wars Wiki states that, “According to Oscar Isaac, the shooting of The Rise of Skywalker allowed for more improvisation than The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi; “It’s a testament to J.J. coming back and feeling confident. There’s less pressure for it to be right. We just want to make a good movie and have a really good time while doing it.” Filmmaker Kevin Smith visited the set, just as he did for The Force Awakens, and described what he saw: “Biggest set I’ve ever seen in my life.” He explained of George Lucas, “The dude’s not directing a movie, it’s like he’s directing a small country.” The script was under even greater security than those of previous films, with actors not allowed to take copies home. By December 11, 2018, Hamill had worked for “about a week” on the film, but had yet to shoot most of his scenes, which he expected to do alongside his work on the TV series Knightfall.”

But did the students of Dana like or dislike the new trailer? 7th grader Eeva Sogliuzzo says, “I liked it because I thought it was cool and because it was action packed.”

In the end, Star Wars will always keep us in suspense, and will never make us bored. So whatever this new movie will bring us it will be amazing, and I can’t wait to see the next movie Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker.

Eliana Flores, A&E Editor

Eliana Flores, one of the many 7th grade students at Dana Middle School and one of the 25 students in Journalism is a second year Journalism student. Before...