What’s Happening With Abortion Rights?

What’s Happening With Abortion Rights?

Isabella Terzoli and Emerson Marquez, Senior Writer

By definition, abortion is the ending of a pregnancy by the removal of an embryo or a fetus before it can live outside of the woman’s uterus.

An abortion can reference two things; there is first a spontaneous abortion, also known as a miscarriage where the fetus inside of the stomach dies without intervention. Or an induced abortion, where deliberate action is taken to end a pregnancy, although the word abortion by itself is typically used in the context of induced abortion.

Although in a new push to limit abortions, eight states have passed laws that have either partly banned it or banned it entirely just this year. These states include Utah, Ohio, Georgia, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama, with Alabama’s new law being the most restrictive. Despite this, none of these bans have gone into effect yet due to multiple court challenges from places like the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and others.

On April 14 the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) tweeted, “Missouri just joined 5 other states this year in voting to ban abortion. Missouri’s law will be stopped by the courts – just like Georgia, Ohio, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama. We all have the constitutional right to abortion and we will fight for it.” Many of the lawmakers who made and passed bills that restricted abortion access have repeatedly stated that they are passing these bills to get them challenged in court deliberately. In doing so, they may be able to overturn Roe v. Wade. “What this bill is designed to do is to go to the Supreme Court and challenge that particular precedent that said in 1973 that abortion is legal on demand essentially any time, anywhere, for any reason,” said Alabama Senator Clyde Chambliss, (R).

The first case to legalize abortion in the United States was Roe v. Wade. Basically, in 1973, the supreme court found that individual state laws that outlawed abortion were unconstitutional. A later court case in Webster v. Reproductive Health allowed regulation of abortion in some cases.

“[fetuses] They’re like us, they grow, they eat, they breathe, they grow new facial features like we do so I don’t know why people like to think that their not real things.” States 8th grader Peter Toscano when asked about his opinion on abortion. “They’re taking away a baby’s life.” Peter continued to say,” People say that their just cells and they haven’t fully grown yet, but they have.” While listening in on our interview another 8th grader, Mia Brusuic, disagreed with him. She stated,” Abortion is a woman’s choice because it’s a woman’s body, and a woman gets the right to choose what she wants to do.” This argument over the subject of abortion is a widespread one with much controversy surrounding it.

A study by Guttmacher Institute on why women get abortions found that around 74% of woman said they got an abortion due to interference with work and school and their ability to care for the child. 78% of women said that they wouldn’t be able to afford the baby. And 48% of women said they didn’t want to be a single mother or have relationship problems when the baby is born. A vast majority of women get abortions because of an unintended pregnancy. Less than one percent of women get abortions due to the fetus being conceived against their will.

Many politicians and reproductive experts have differing opinions on if abortion should be legal or not. Lawrence Lockman, a senator from Maine, says “If a woman has the right to an abortion, why shouldn’t a man be free to use his superior strength to force himself on a woman?”

Marc Siegel, an American physician, says, “The first time I saw the body parts was the first time I knew I would never perform one of these procedures. I was defining my role as a doctor in terms of relieving suffering and extending life, not ending it.

We wanted a more in-depth look at what Dana students opinions are on this topic, so we surveyed approximately 48 students asking them, “What is your opinion on abortion.”

One anonymous comment that was left on out survey stated, “We need to be teaching people both sides of the story equally and showing people that abortion is not and SHOULD NOT be an option.”

Another anonymous Dana student commented, “I believe that states such as alabama placing heavy restrictions on abortions and not allowing women to have control over their own body shows a very unhealthy level of negligence and crossover of church and state on the part of the government of these particular states as well as the federal government in washington D.C for allowing this, since it goes against the constitution saying that church should not affect the law.”

A woman’s right to an abortion is being challenged across the USA and with much controversy.A woman’s right to an abortion is being challenged across the USA and with much controversy.