Racist Promposal at Palos Verdes High School

Samantha Brown, Editor-in-Chief

A photo of two teenage students from Palos Verdes High School holding up a promposal sign that reads, “Bianca you are racist, but I would for anything to go to prom with you.” Some letters of the poster were emboldened to spell out a racial slur. The reason behind the racism in this promposal is still unknown.

The photo was posted on social media, and it spread very quickly due to the racially charged message behind the promposal. Thousands of people are outraged not towards the students, but also towards the entire community. This act proves yet again that racism is an issue that is taken too lightly. In response to these images, Palos Verdes High School Principal Allen Tyner explained that the parents of the teenagers have been contacted in order to “inform them that we are forming a response and anticipate severe consequences.”

Tyner continues, “In accordance with our values and expectations for respectful conduct in our district and at PVHS, this sign is unacceptable,” Tyner said. “We are also continuing to investigate the situation to determine who else may have been present when the photo was taken, and who took the photo. “However, we will not discuss the details of any school action or potential consequences for students as we have a strict obligation to protect privacy rights. “At this time, I am asking all teachers and parents in our school community to join me in reminding our students that we live in a society that must respect diversity and tolerance. Indeed, this life lesson is critical and is one that school and home must partner to teach. At the same time, I am heartened by the immediate response by our students and families on social media that make it very clear that our community does not support this behavior.”

In addition to the response that Tyner gave to the public, he also posted a letter onto the school news site stating that he plans to meet with all of his pupils to discuss this issue and what made it so significant.

To conclude, many believe that this event was extremely significant because it shows that the younger generations need to be taught that racism is not a joke.