Do Student-Athletes Get Special Privileges?

America Juarez, Staff Writer

Many don’t know about the corrupt things colleges do. Whether it’s favoring a specific type of group or giving more opportunities to a community, what they are doing is not fair. Athletes are given opportunities that others don’t get.

The majority of people who get accepted to sport programs are white people. A study made by The National Collegiate Athletic Association in 2017,  showed that 61 percent of the student-athletes were white. These percents elevate when we talk about the most elite and prestigious school in the world; Ivy Leagues. The number jumps up to 65 percent. The NCAA graphed the total amount of basketball players for a whole school year. The results were unequal, there were a total of 34,888 college baseball players in the U.S. Out of 34,888 student-athletes, 28,433 were white, 2,230 were Latino or Hispanic and 1,415 black students. If you noticed, there was a lack of diversity.

This shows all the average Ivy League SAT scores you need for a regular student.

You might think everyone has the same probability into getting into a college or university, but that’s not correct. All Harvard applicants are “ranked on a scale of one to six based on their academic qualification…” Athletes who achieved four or more have an acceptance rate of 70 percent. Non-athlete applicants with the duplicate scores have a  0.076 percent likelihood into getting accepted. A recent study made by James Schulman and a former Princeton University President William Bowen picked 30 different colleges across the U.S and found that athlete applicants were given a 48 percent uplift in admissions. The top schools (including Ivy Leagues and UC school) accepts athletes with SAT scores as low as 820, but for the general students, the average SAT scores would be 1460. These numbers are very different when comparing them together.

Not only do they have an advantage into getting into a good college, but they are given millions of dollars for their sports programs. The Ohio State athletics programs got $167 million in revenue. SEC Schools spend an average of $163.931 per athlete. Other schools also followed this trend. Football divisions at some schools spend 6.7 times more money on each athlete than they would on a regular student attending. Non- athletes students are at a disadvantage, and here’s what some students have to say about this situation.

7th grader Argelia Orozco comments, “What colleges are doing is unfair. Why is it that athletes are getting benefits that others get. I think people in the academic field work just as hard to get into that college or university as athletes. As a non-athlete student, I don’t want to get treated unequally and only get the scraps”. But Sophia Castellanos disagrees, “They do have it easier but I think being on a team isn’t something that takes effort. They have to train and being on a team requires you to give up a lot of your time and maybe not participating in certain activities that other students might do. Yes, student-athletes do get special privileges, but it’s because of all the hard work they put in.”

Everyone has their own opinion on this situation, but you can’t deny that student-athletes get advantages. Some think that it’s unfair and some argue that they deserve it, but you can decide which side you agree with.