Bill Nye Brings Out The F-Bombs to Discuss Climate Change

Aytana Martinez, Editor-in-Chief

Bill Nye, the popular American science communicator, brought out some f-bombs to talk about the severity of climate change. On May 14, 2019, John Oliver first outlined the case for the New Green Deal proposed by Rep. Alexandria Cortez. “We’re going to need a lot of different policies working tandem, and we have to take action right now,” John Oliver said towards the end of the segment. “But you don’t have to just take that from me. Instead, I’m happy to say Bill Nye has actually agreed to drive the urgency home at this point by actually doing one of his enjoyable, lighthearted demonstrations.” And then came the video.

“By the end of this century, if temperatures keep rising, the average temperature on earth could go up another 6 to 8 degrees,” Bill says. “What I’m saying is that the planet’s on f***ing fire.” The science guy then proceeds to set the globe next to him on fire with a blowtorch. “There are several options to put out the proverbial fire on Earth,” Nye explains. “Are any of them free? No, of course not, you idiots. Grow the f*** up. You’re adults now.”

As the globe burns, he vented: “I didn’t mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12, but you’re adults now. This is an actual crisis, got it?”

This tough-talking version of the so-called friendly science guy got widespread attention on social media. Some people tweeting, “Bill Nye is not the same Bill Nye we used to know.”

Bill Nye wasn’t wrong. Our carbon emissions have NEVER been higher. Our Earth is experiencing some major drawbacks and if we don’t start taking action, it’ll eventually escalate to a point where there’s no return. Bill’s language in this short film also played a big part in this. Some may say that it definitely helped spread this message and gain popularity on social media.

“I feel like it was a very good idea for Bill Nye and John Oliver to make this video because after watching it I definitely feel motivated to do something about it [climate change],” says an anonymous student here at Dana Middle school. “I also liked how they decided to spread the message with humor because it makes it easier to understand what’s actually happening to our world at this point.”

Not only did John Oliver successfully explain the severity of climate change with the help of one of the most iconic figures in the science industry, but the video did, in fact, help spread awareness to those who needed it.