5 Books To Read During Summer

5 Books To Read During Summer

Hera Serna, Staff Writer

The school year is coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean you should stop reading. There are an endless number of books that you can read while on break and those books might just open some questions you never even thought of before. What makes a family? How far do we need to venture to touch the stars? How many times can someone’s trust be broken? Those questions can also be answered by reading a sequel to the book or maybe another book like it. You might just find your own personal genre this season, but no matter what you might like, these books are sure to keep you busy all season long. Here are 10 books to read this summer.

1. The Body By Stephen King

The story concerns four young boys, growing up in a poor area of the 1960s Maine. The boys, Gordie Lachance, Vern Tessio, Chris Chambers and Teddy Duchamp, are all about to turn thirteen. When they hear about the death of another boy, who was walking in the forest miles from his home, they cannot resist the temptation to go and look for his body. Even though they know the journey will be long and dangerous. The adventure becomes a turning point in all their lives as they face the dangers and wonders of the world and some of the bigger questions of their lives to come. The Body is a story of four boys on the first step of their journey into adulthood.

2. One of Us is Lying By Karen M. McManus

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention. Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule. Addy, the beauty, is the picture perfect homecoming princess. Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing. Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher. Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app. Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom and before the end of detention, Simon’s dead. According to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died but on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high profile classmates. Now all four of them suspects in his murder. Everyone in this story has secrets. What really matters is how far they would go to protect them.

3. Armada By Ernest Cline

Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming. He dreams that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will whisk him off on some grand space adventure. Zack isn’t so hopeful and knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe, but then he sees the flying saucer. Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the video game he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada. As impossible as it seems, what he’s seeing is all too real, and his skills, as well as those of millions of gamers across the world, are needed to save the earth from what’s about to happen. It’s Zack’s chance to play the hero, but even through the terror and exhilaration, he can’t help thinking back to all those science-fiction stories he grew up with, and wondering if something about this scenario seems a little familiar.

4. Genius: The Game By Leopoldo Gout

The story follows three teenagers as they meet each other in order to find what they desire most, only to find out that meeting each other was exactly what they needed. Meet Rex, a 16-year old programing genius who is determined to find his brother, Teo, no matter what the cost. Rex creates WALKABOUT, a very complicated code that will allow him to track down his brother, the only problem is he has to find a quantum computer to run it. Meet Tunde, a 14-year old self-taught engineering genius who lives in Nigeria. It is not until a cruel General visits Tunde’s village to demand his help in creating a weapon that he realizes that his brain may be a curse. Meet Painted Wolf, a 15-year old genius who lives in Shanghai. She is one of China’s leading microbloggers who takes pride in exposing public officials who take bribes from mob figures. These three must stick together to achieve what they all want. How far will they go until trust becomes an issue?

5. Dry By Neal and Jarrod Shusterman

It is announced on the news that there is no water left in Southern California. People raid the stores to buy any fluids they can find and soon there is nothing left on the shelves. The parents of Alyssa and her brother Garrett fail to return after searching for water for their family, so the children set off in an attempt to find their parents. During their search, they befriend three other teenagers, and struggle to survive in the waterless landscape where people have become ruthless and wicked in order to survive. The panic and violence become too much and soon the government declares martial law and forces people into evacuation camps where there still is not enough water for everyone. The five children witness first hand how far humans will go to survive and how quickly society can collapse when basic human needs are not being met.

Even though the school year is ending, it doesn’t mean the reading should not be done. Reading doesn’t have to be an assignment, but can also be fun. Hopefully these books give you an interest in reading.