Matilda: A Magical Film

Eliana Flores, Opinions Editor

Matilda is the movie adaptation of Roald Dahl’s book that was made in 1988, which was the last book ever written by Roald Dahl before he died. The movie was directed by Danny DeVito, and came out in 1996. At the time, it was a great success and people still watch it today. Matilda was a huge part many childhoods. This movie is sad, humorous, and a little bit dark.

This story is particularly unique in its telling. Matilda is a story about a little girl who loves to read, and learn. She has a family which consists of her older brother Michael, her father Harry Wormwood, and her mother Zinnia Wormwood. Her father is a shady car salesman, who sells cars that look new, but are glued on by super glue. Matilda’s mom, on the other hand, gambles. This helps pay the bills for the household. Matilda’s brother, Michael, is snobby and spoiled and does not treat Matilda with respect or kindness.

The Wormwood family as depicted in the movie

The only time that Matilda can escape from the world is when she reads. One day, Matilda’s dad says to her that she is going to school. When the big day comes, she learns that her principal, Ms Trunchbull is a really bad person who hates children. Ms. Trunchbull loves to torture the kids that attend her school. On the other, hand she meets friends such as Lavender and Amanda Thripp who make her school experience better. She connects instantly with her teacher, Ms Honey, who is as sweet as her name. Their relationship becomes something more like an adopted mother and daughter. Together they solve Ms. Honey’s family mystery. Matilda discovers that she has a special ability to move things with her mind. They both get rid of their awful families and live happily ever after as a family. 

Matilda and Ms. Honey

The actors in the movie Matilda features Danny DeVito as Harry Wormwood, Mara Wilson as Matilda Wormwood, Pam Ferris as Miss Trunchbull, Embeth Davidtz as Miss Honey, Rhea Perlman as Zinnia Wormwood, Kiami Davael as Lavender, Jimmy Karz as Bruce Bogtrotter, and Jacqueline Steiger as Amanda Thripp. 

Matilda is such an inspiration to many kids around the globe, but why? That is a lesson that the movie and the book Matilda taught me. She tries to make things joyful and right in times that no one believed her. She took it upon herself to make things right, and make her life not miserable. 

When asked about the movie, 8th grade STEAM magnet student Isabella Haage says, “Kids want to watch the movie Matilda because of the entertainment. The author was trying to teach kids about how Matilda was so smart and they shouldn’t always rely on their parents to do everything for them so Matilda is entertaining for the kids but also educational as well.”

Well we can all say that Matilda is the smartest kid we all know. Matilda stood up to her family and for what is right. She believed in herself when no one else did. This movie will be remembered and the book will continue to be loved forever.