Greta Thunberg Addresses Climate Change at UN Action Summit

Greta+with+a+sign+that+says%2C+%E2%80%9CSkolstrejk+for+Klimatet.%E2%80%9D+%28School+strike+for+climate%29.+

Greta with a sign that says, “Skolstrejk for Klimatet.” (School strike for climate).

Bryana Sirisute-Popejoy, Editor-In-Chief

On Monday, September 23rd, at the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York, Greta Thunberg made an impassioned speech on climate change. In her speech, the teen criticized world leaders mentioning that they did not do enough to tackle the global climate crisis and are leaving her generation to solve the issue. 

In the now viral video clip, Thunberg rebukes world leaders saying, “People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are at the beginning of mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!” This video of Thunberg condemning world leaders for their inaction has begun circulating on social media since the summit.

Greta Thunberg giving her speech at the 2019 climate action summit.

Thunberg  informed the United Nations that even the strictest emission cuts, according to a climate report, being talked about only gives the world a 50% chance of limiting future warming to another 0.4 degrees Celsius (or 0.72 degrees Fahrenheit) from now, which is a global goal. Those odds are not good enough, she explains. Emissions toxic substances, often a gas, that harm the environment, when sent out into the air. 

Environmentalists have grown increasingly alarmed over warming trends that have exceeded scientists representations. For example, according to a climate study from January 2019, the study showed the world’s oceans are warming notably faster than previously thought. Since around 1970, the ocean has warmed 40% more than previous estimates that were made about how much it’ll warm. 

“People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are at the beginning of mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!”

Greta Thunberg is a 16-year-old Swedish environmental activist on climate change. She has become known globally for her campaigning on the importance policy addressing climate change. On social media, many celebrities, such as Camila Cabello, had reposted her speech on Instagram. Ever since her speech was delivered at the U.N, Thunberg has gone viral and inspired and influenced many for her words and overall movement. 

Although many agree with Greta’s point of view, others have a different standpoint on her speech and have criticized or mocked her. Many politicians feel differently, along with writers and critics, in general. A Fox News guest, Michael Knowles, called Thunberg criticized her speech stating, “None of that matters because the climate hysteria movement is not about science, if it were about science, it would be led by scientists rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left.” President Trump mocked Thunberg on Twitter, tweeting that she seemed like a “happy young girl looking forward to a bright future.” Later that week, Thunberg updated her Twitter bio to the same as Trump’s tweet.

Thunberg’s Twitter Bio.

8th Grade STEAM Magnet Student Layla Riddle commented on how she felt about Greta and her speech, “In my opinion, I think Greta is kind and caring. She made an effort to come up from the other side of the ocean and make a speech about climate change. The ice is melting, soon animals won’t have a home. I agree with Greta.” Riddle also explained that Thunberg made an effort to sail across the ocean to participate in the U.N. Climate Summit. There is no denying that Thunberg’s thoughts on climate have made a huge impact on others influencing many many individuals who wish to take a stand like her.