Are We Too Old To Be Trick or Treating?

Are We Too Old To Be Trick or Treating?

Little children in Halloween costumes

Little children in Halloween costumes

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Little children in Halloween costumes

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Little children in Halloween costumes

Sonia Valencia, Senior Staff

Halloween is a fun night for everyone. People disagree that teens shouldn’t be “Trick or Treating” at their age. The big question is, when is it the right time to stop? Some teens stop because they think it’s cool, while others enjoy the celebration and the free candy. Even if kids can’t enjoy Halloween or don’t want to, most schools make sure they have a good time with their friends or family. 

Overall, Trick or Treating is a great way to spend time on Halloween no matter what age you are. It’s a good way to get some exercise, and you get tons of candy while doing it. If you like the spooky season, many families set up haunted houses that you can visit. If that’s not something you may like, then looking at decorations outside the houses around your area is fun too. You can show off your new Halloween costume and go all out.

Although Halloween is fun for most people, some homeowners and religious families do not like to celebrate Halloween. On the other hand, homeowners may not like trick or treating, because they might be worried that a kid will egg a house with their friends or get in some type of trouble.

Crime rates to up by a lot on Halloween as well according to James Alan Fox, a Northeastern University professor. He states, “The evening violent crime count on Oct. 31 is about 50 percent higher than on any other date during the year, and about twice the daily average,”Parents are always worried about their child’s safety, and so are cities. In cities such as Chesapeake, Virginia kids over a certain age, by law are not allowed to Trick or Treat. If they do so, the consequence is jail time. This is being talked about all over social media, and a lot of people are upset with the law.

Even though some people don’t like Trick or Treating, there are other events people can go to if they still want to celebrate. This includes school events and pumpkin patches in the town or Dia de Los Muertos. For those teens who don’t want to Trick or Treat, they can buy a bag of candy themselves if they still want some. What’s the fun in that though? It is costly and you won’t really get to see cool houses or anything spooky besides decorations in the store. 

Trick or treating is fun now, but it was much different back then. Halloween was instead called “Samhain” which was a Pagan event. This was later called, “All Saints Day” by the Catholic Church. The idea of costumes was created when people started to dress up as scary things such as ghosts and demons, which people still do dress up as. Giving out candy was created when people would receive candy from neighbors to appease the evil spirits… dark, I know.

A lot of students feel that they aren’t too old to have some Halloween fun. Sophie Pescetti, a student here at Dana says, “I haven’t stopped Trick or Treating, but I see myself stopping probably when I’m 16 or 17. My favorite parts are getting candy and seeing all the haunted houses because it’s really fun, and you get to see other people have a good time. Although, my older brother whose 18 thinks he’s too cool for it, but I still think it’s a really fun.” 

Trick or Treating can have lots of benefits, and is very entertaining for your whole family. Remember on this Halloween, if you want to trick or treat, let no one stop you. Enjoy, but be safe and try not to get into trouble.

What do you think? Are we too old to Trick or Treat?