The Importance of Mental Health During the Pandemic

Sylvia Valencia, Staff Writer

So far, 2020 has been very scary and upsetting to many people. Mental health is essential to take care of especially during the worldwide pandemic. 

Mental health is important because it can impact our thoughts and our feelings in our daily lives. Talking about mental health is important as well. Talking about mental health can maintain a positive state of mind. You can take care of mental health by spending time outdoors, meditating, and doing activities at home that can help you get into a positive state of mind.

Mental health can also affect a person’s physical health as well. This can lead to unhealthy habits, and even serious illnesses. As written in Healthypeople.gov, it states, “Mental health disorders also have a serious impact on physical health and are associated with the prevalence, progression, and outcome of some of today’s most pressing chronic diseases, including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.”

According to the Washington post, “Nearly half of Americans report the coronavirus crisis is harming their mental health”

The Washington Post also stated, “A federal emergency hotline for people in emotional distress registered a more than 1,000 percent increase in April compared with the same time last year. Last month, roughly 20,000 people texted that hotline , run by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.”

I asked Artemis Tegan, a licensed therapist “Do you think that the pandemic will have long term effects on people’s mental health?” She responded, “ Yes, it’s really changing all sorts of things in our society, from not being able to hug, and not being able to gather in groups. I think it’s essential that people be able to gather and congregate, and when they’re not able to it makes mental health issues worse in terms of stress and anxiety and feeling disconnected.” 

I then asked “ In what ways has the pandemic affected the mental health of adults vs. children?” She answered, “We are seeing a lot more divorces with adults. With children, we are seeing increases in anxiety.”

I then asked Dana Middle School students, “ How has the pandemic affected your mood/mental health?” Some students then replied with feeling tired, bored, and frustrated. 

If you are feeling stressed out, lonely, depressed, or sad during this pandemic, there are a few things you can do. You can exercise, do something artistic/creative, do outdoor activities, or simply reach out to friends and family. No matter what your situation is we are all in this together and putting your mental health first should be top priority.